Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

New Install - template not loading?

First of all Hi! My name's Pete and I'm a new user, I've managed to find my way through the install without too many hassles but now am having a problem with my site.

My site is located at http://www.onlyaclickaway.co.uk/index.php and at the moment is looking rather bland because there don't seem to be any templates etc. I thought perhaps this was because it was a new install and I had to set up templates, but my admin area is the same - could somebody point me in the right direction and give me a clue how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Pete

PS I'm running on a Linux server incase that makes a difference, I assume Linux falls under *Nix, whatever that means?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Install - template not loading?

This is what I get when I view the source code for your index page. It means the server file permissions are probably incorrect on your files.

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster AT onlyaclickaway DOT co DOT uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Plugin Contributions

Who is your host?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: New Install - template not loading?

**** We do not solicit on the forum. ****
    Last edited by Kim; 10 May 2006 at 03:27 AM.

Plugin Contributions

**** We do not solicit on the forum. ****
    Some people you got a hit in the head with a hammer when they keep breaking the rules.
    Mmmm... donate to Zen Cart, it's better than Barbeque

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the replies guys, I had a quick look at the log files although I must admit I don't really know what I'm looking for! There was a huge amount of text in there, is this normal?

I had a go at changing some folder permissions and found that it brought up a different error so I think this may be the key - how do I go about working out which folder permissions I need to change and what should I change them to?

Oh and my hosting is with Streamline.net.

Thanks,

Pete

Plugin Contributions

Peter

The installation manual has the file permissions listed for each directory and files withn them. See if you can set them all up following the recommended permissions. However, some web hosts may vary and you may need to adjust the permissions slightly so they work on the server. Try the receommended ones first though

Plugin Contributions

Hi Jim, I have been through the manual and set the permissions as suggested, however I am not sure what this line means exactly:

"As for other folders and files, they can be CHMOD 644, or 444, depending on your webserver configuration."

Does this mean I should set ALL other folders and files to 644 or 444 or is there a specific list?

Pete

Plugin Contributions

Hi Peter

Probably your server will default to 644 on these files anyway. Some servers require other file permissions (444 is one example). I suggest trying 644 first and see how that works for you. If not, ask your web host which file permission is best for your particular server.

Keep us posted

Plugin Contributions

Hi, my server seems to default to 707 on everything, at least that's what shows up when I view a folder's properties through my FTP program...

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast