Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Type Book (by moku)

To start a new thread, go to the most appropriate subforum (in your case probably Configuring the Zen Cart Admin > Shipping and Payment Modules) and click the "new thread" button above the upper left corner of that list.

You will only see the new thread button when you are viewing a subcategory list, so that the forum knows where to put your post.

Plugin Contributions

thanks for your help

getting the following error on importing sql file:

Error

SQL query:

CREATE TABLE `zen_product_book_extra` (
    `products_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '0',
    `book_color_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '0',
    `book_condition_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '0',
    `subtitle` varchar( 255 ) default NULL ,
    `pub_date` varchar( 32 ) default NULL ,
    `size` varchar( 32 ) default NULL ,
    `pages` int( 5 ) default NULL ,
    `misc_1` varchar( 255 ) default NULL ,
    `misc_2` varchar( 255 ) default NULL ,
    `misc_bool_1` tinyint( 1 ) NOT NULL default '0',
    `misc_bool_2` tinyint( 1 ) NOT NULL default '0',
    PRIMARY KEY ( `products_id` ) ,
    KEY `color` ( `book_color_id` ) ,
    KEY `condition` ( `book_condition_id` ) ,
    KEY `subtitle` ( `subtitle` )
    ) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1;

MySQL said: Documentation
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 17

I was able to run the query by deleting

ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1

from each instruction.

using MySQL - 4.0.25-standard
    Last edited by loosefast; 23 May 2006 at 02:17 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks loosefast! I fixed the add_to_mysql.txt file for futures releases!

After installing and testing "Product Type Book" please let me know what you think of it.

Plugin Contributions

Re: Product Type Book (by moku)

This is very good for me. I have a problem, Easy Populate 1.2.5.4 can not populating all data stored with Product Type Book, and vice versa.. Easy Populate can only store all data with standard Product Type.

What should I do? Any suggestion?

TIA,
    Benediktus
    Benediktus

Plugin Contributions

Hi bene,

Quote Originally Posted by bene
    This is very good for me.
    Great! Any suggestion or idea of improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by bene
    I have a problem, Easy Populate 1.2.5.4 can not populating all data stored with Product Type Book,
    Currently I'm working to finish (as much as possible) "Product Type Book". As soon as cores features are done and works well I will work on integration with Easy Populate, RSS and so on. I added it to my TODO list.

Kind regards,
    --
    moku

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by moku
    Hi bene,
    Great! Any suggestion or idea of improvement?

Currently I'm working to finish (as much as possible) "Product Type Book". As soon as cores features are done and works well I will work on integration with Easy Populate, RSS and so on. I added it to my TODO list.

Kind regards,
    --
    moku

WOW.. you're so kindly.. I'm sure this Product Type Book would be very good for many publisher website. My company is one of very big publisher in Indonesia.

I'm waiting sir.. Thanks a lot..

Warm regards,
    Benediktus
    Benediktus

Quote Originally Posted by moku
    Thanks loosefast! I fixed the add_to_mysql.txt file for futures releases!

After installing and testing "Product Type Book" please let me know what you think of it.
    Hi moku,

I am just now working with the new version of zencart (1.3.1) and your Book product module. Some observations-

I like that your module is more intergrated with the music type products and in this way it is more integrated with the zen administration section.

The author and publisher as links in book product display is a nice touch.

I like that your module allows search on author, genre, etc. The previous version of the Book Product module didi not allow these functions.

I am setting this up for a an eBay used book dealer, who may at some point have hundreds of titles in the cart, so I am a little worried about the way the pop-ups work in adding a new book product in the admin, particularly the author field, which could grow to quite a large number of names. Possibly this would be better as a text entry field?

I am going to be trying to add the author field to the product display in list view, All Products, New Products, Featured etc..as I think that is essential.

Also, I am going to see if I can populate the database fields by uploading the various cvs files required - this always gives me a big headache.

Another headache is what I perceive is inconsistency in where to go to make changes, usually quite small ones, in the zencart system. Sometimes its done in the language files and sometimes its in various template folders and sometimes its in various sections of the admin and sometimes its hard coded in the php code pages, things like break tags. For instance, the phrase about XHTML in the footer is hard coded in among the rest of the footer info which is not.

But I am grateful to the developers for making this excellent software.

Thank you for making this contrib available to the community!

Plugin Contributions

@ bene,

Unfortunately I can work on this contrib only two days by week (and I'm not a good developper!) so I'm very slow. But I need it myself, so you can believe it will be ready one day!

@ loosefast,

Quote Originally Posted by loosefast
    The author and publisher as links in book product display is a nice touch.
    I'm currently working to enhance authors, wich become a small other contrib (like "Products Languages") named "Products Persons". It will be useable by any contrib. I plan to use it in "Product Type Book", of course, but also in "Product Type Video" and a better "Product Type Music". Persons are linked to a products (ie. Book_A is linked to Person_A) but also to Roles (ie. Book_A is linked to Person_A wich have the role Role_A). For books it will mainly be Authors roles, but for video it may be Director, Actor, Music, etc.

I like that your module allows search on author, genre, etc. The previous version of the Book Product module didi not allow these functions.
    You did not notice any low speed or bad performance on this searches? I did not notice, but I wonder.
    If anybody find a better way to do this search hack I will be pleased to learned from him/her.

I am setting this up for a an eBay used book dealer, who may at some point have hundreds of titles in the cart, so I am a little worried about the way the pop-ups work in adding a new book product in the admin, particularly the author field, which could grow to quite a large number of names. Possibly this would be better as a text entry field?
    That's a point I'm thinking about. A simple "text field" means that all your persons have to have differents names and that you have to know its spell exactly. I'm not sure it's a good enought solution.
    I though about using Ajax to get persons' name while inputing (just like Google Suggest) but did not tried yet.

I am going to be trying to add the author field to the product display in list view, All Products, New Products, Featured etc..as I think that is essential.
    You have to look in "includes/classes/observers/class.productBookListing.php". I had to add a notifier hook in "includes/modules/product_listing.php" (that's why I overwrote it by using "includes/modules/my_template/product_listing.php") because there was no core notifier in this file. And I'm affraid it's the same for "products_all", "features_products", "products_new" and "specials"... :-(
    (Note: I wonder why this four files does not use the module "product_listing" unlike "index" file?? Is it planned by ZC developpers?)

Also, I am going to see if I can populate the database fields by uploading the various cvs files required - this always gives me a big headache.
    If you can find a way to use "Easy Populate" with "Product Type Book" (and the future "Products Persons") it would be a very great help!

Another headache is what I perceive is inconsistency in where to go to make changes, usually quite small ones, in the zencart system. Sometimes its done in the language files and sometimes its in various template folders and sometimes its in various sections of the admin and sometimes its hard coded in the php code pages, things like break tags. For instance, the phrase about XHTML in the footer is hard coded in among the rest of the footer info which is not.
    Well, I though the same before starting to use it a lot. And now, I'm used to it. I don't know if ZC way of splitting things is good or bad, but I can handle it, so I'm okay with it, now! ^^
    (about the validator below the footer, well, yes it's hard coded in tpl_main_page.php, but ZC is powerful enought to let us get rid of it very easily in our own templates! )

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast