Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Wanted - Local Delivery by Postcode

I have other people looking into this, but I thought I'd spell it out here in the hope that somebody has already invented this particular wheel. I'll listen to any offers (and detailed explanations of a better way to achieve this), but, in the absence of the Commercial Help forum (pleeeeease can we have that back dev team? - it only takes a minute to add a forum!) please send any commercial responses via PM or e-mail.

Purpose: To allow free (or paid for express) delivery to certain postcodes, whilst still allowing "normal" shipping options. Postcodes need to be set through Admin

Add an option in admin to enter and store a variable number of post codes (I have about 20 to begin with - I'd suggest a comma delimited list similar to entering prices per weight in the Table Shipping.)

The php code to check the current "ship to" post code against these free delivery post codes - the check would need to take place after a new shipping address was entered as well as on first display of Step 1 of the Checkout.

If one of the stored postcodes matches the ship to postcode then the shipping module can display.

I think to someone thoroughly familiar with Zencart and proficient in php/MySql, this would really be quite simple - IF my thinking is right, it's simply a case of adding a table to the database, passing the "free" postcodes to it and recovering those codes to check against. But I'm a long way from being proficient in php/MySql!

So, I'd be looking for the file(s) necessary to create the Admin side and the snippet of code to perform the check which I could add to whichever shipping module I wanted to apply this to. The ones I am using (it's a 1.3 cart) are freeoptions and storepickup (the former being used for free delivery, the latter being used for express delivery to the same areas)
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Wanted - Local Delivery by Postcode

Did you notice the new Free Shipping Module (freeoptions) ...

This has a zone setting that could be utilized ... and shows at the same time as other modules so you can offere a Free Shipping to a given Zone based on a variety of reasons and amounts ... while at the same time offer all the other shipping modules ...

The trick is ... defining the zone for it to work with ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I'm going to be really cheeky here and respond with "did you read all my post - including the bit...The ones I am using (it's a 1.3 cart) are freeoptions..."?

I have that showing when relevant...

The free delivery postcodes are all contained within one county which is the only thing in the zone which allows free delivery - the difficulty is getting a zone down to the postcode level.

As we only seem to be able to enter countries and counties into zones ( if I'm wrong, please correct me and type the answer slowly for me ), another method for identifying post codes needs to be established; there are thousands of postcodes available, but I only want to identify a handful, and I just can't see a better way of doing this..unless you can spell something else out?

Plugin Contributions

RYK,

I know this isn't what you are looking for (exactly), but the ot_local_tax mod works by selecting only postcodes that you select.

I'm thinking the logic for making the comparisons you are looking for are there.

maybe someone could modify it and the delivery mod to work the way you want.

I'm not technical enough to tackle it though.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks - I'll take a look tomorrow - it's my bed time now!

Plugin Contributions

I need something similar - a shipping "calculator" based on the OUTBOUND part of the UK postcode (CB1 1DM - "CB1" is the OUTBOUND part). Any ideas anyone???
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

If you're still looking for this schoolboy, PM me.

Plugin Contributions

I'm trying to accomplish this as well. I need to be able to offer free delivery to only select postal codes. Ideally, if a customer is registered and their postal code is one on a list I create, then they see a free local delivery option. Otherwise, the free local delivery is not even displayed. I tried the old Local delivery mode but this isn't suitable. Can anyone suggest something or point me in the right direction??

Plugin Contributions

Hey there everyone.

Just wanted to ask if anyone was able to come up with a solution for this as I too would like to offer shipping by postcode "in particular free local delivery"

If someone managed to find a solution, please let us know!!

Plugin Contributions

I have to say this type of feature would be great. Its really making thhe zone more granular. Not sure how handy this would be in the US, but in Canada this would work great for me. Yes there would be a maintenance aspect to it but it would allow reasonably detailed control on what shipping methods will show.... I have to say customers selecting flat rate when thhey are 400 km from here is NOT a great problem to have.... and either I need to remove flat rate as an option or find a better solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast