Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Will upgrading in the future wipe out changes made to the Classic template?

Hello all,

I'm new to the Zen Cart, and was modding the classic template to get my site to have a custom look. I start about a week ago, and reading more into it, before I put any more work into it, should I really be starting from copying the "template_default" template and making my own, or is modding the "Classic" template ok in terms of future upgrades. I had some nasty surprises in my early days with phpBB, and hope to avoid the same in the future.

Also, I just tried copying and modding the "template_default" to create a new skin.. it seems alot, LOT more difficult to work with than the classic skin, which is why I'm really hoping that sticking with the Classic skin would be ok..

Sorry for my n00bish-ness folks.. thanks in advance!

~MMN Maniac

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Will upgrading in the future wipe out changes made to the Classic template?

you will want to start from scratch using the default,
    classic is kinda buggy as it was made backwards compatible,

but there is a very good chance that upgrading in the future will cause issues.

as you are modifying core files
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Will upgrading in the future wipe out changes made to the Classic template?

ahh.. crap. looks like i have to start from scratch.

Well, I just started and tried making my own template, and it's much, much more difficult than modifying the "classic" template. I took careful notes of what I did to mod the classic template.. the layout with the bordered boxes is just what I was looking for - I just needed to change the colors and stuff. Now, the boxes have disappeared and I have to start from scratch...

Is there a link to a "new template" that looks like classic but is not as buggy as "classic" that I can work off from? Thanks in advance, folks!

~MMN Maniac

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MMN Maniac
    ahh.. crap. looks like i have to start from scratch.

Well, I just started and tried making my own template, and it's much, much more difficult than modifying the "classic" template. I took careful notes of what I did to mod the classic template.. the layout with the bordered boxes is just what I was looking for - I just needed to change the colors and stuff. Now, the boxes have disappeared and I have to start from scratch...

Is there a link to a "new template" that looks like classic but is not as buggy as "classic" that I can work off from? Thanks in advance, folks!

~MMN Maniac
    use the default as it is tableless you can copy it all to a new folder and start adjusting it to your layout / colors

Plugin Contributions

NOTE: only copy files that you actually change ... do not copy all files just for the heck of it or it will make future upgrades much harder ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sgflowers
    use the default as it is tableless you can copy it all to a new folder and start adjusting it to your layout / colors
    yes, I'm using the template_default already.. my problem is that I'm not too familiar with the whole templating system yet, but found editing the "classic" template very easy.. I was wondering if there's a similar looking one that I can just work right off from, instead of trying to reinvent the "classic" design again from "template_default."

~MMN Maniac

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh
    NOTE: only copy files that you actually change ... do not copy all files just for the heck of it or it will make future upgrades much harder ...
    thanks for the tip.. just for my curiosity.. why?

If it's too long of an explanation, than just say "because I say so" hehe.. I'd hate to waste your time. again, just curious. :)

~MMN Maniac

Plugin Contributions

This is what I'm trying to do:

http://www.vidabox.com/store/

I started another site to work with the default template here:

http://www.vidabox.com/shop/

I can change the background colors and stuff, but am confused on many other things.. For example, how are those nice bordered boxes made?? I haven't done much php work.. any pointers?

BTW, i tried looking at the wiki/FAQ.. alot of links are broken and havent been able to find much..

~MMN Maniac

Plugin Contributions

If you copy 100 files for templates and overrides ... but only change 3 ... next upgrade you will need to hunt through 100 files for differences that include you 3 files and those we make with a new release ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MMN Maniac
    I'm not too familiar with the whole templating system yet, but found editing the "classic" template very easy. I was wondering if there's a similar looking one that I can just work right off from, instead of trying to reinvent the "classic" design again from "template_default."
    My Future Zen template is designed to bridge this gap. It's not very similar in appearance to Classic as I felt that boxy look to be a bit dated, but it's a very lightweight template that puts you on the path to template_default. There's a link to download it and its install instructions in my signature block below (provided you have sigs enabled).

If you'd rather start with something tht looks more familar, Kobra has made up a template based on template_default that looks like Classic. You can find out more / ask for a copy in this thread http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...ure#post201956
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast