Plugin Contributions

database error Help getting past Database Setup step

I am installing Zen Cart for the first time on a web host (I have previously installed and tinkered with in on my laptop with no problems).

I have read a few "how to move" guides here and have searched through numerous threads about my problems and as of yet, I have not found anything.

That does not mean it is not already there, just that I have not found it.

With that aside, here are screen caps of (some of) my problems:

I am not sure where to even begin with the first two pictures, however, with the third, I have tried a few different things.

First, yes, I did create the database. I also created the user and I know that all three of these things are correct when I enter them on the "Zen Cart Setup - Database Setup" page.

Second, to the best of my knowledge, I have the appropriate settings (777) on my admin/includes/configure.php and my includes/configure.php files.

So, where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

greg

ETA: Oh, and I am using OpenSourceHost as my web host because it was recommended here.
    Last edited by Kim; 30 Oct 2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: see ETA

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help getting past Database Setup step

The reason it's complaining about the cache directory being unwritable is because you're specifying a uri (http://blah blah blah) rather than a local path (/home/username/public_html/blah blah blah).

As for the last big stop sign, that's an authentication error with mysql. This can be a little more difficult to nail down without help from your web host, depending on the level of access they give you.

Are you sure you entered the MySQL username and password correctly? (This may very well be different from the username and password you use to access other areas of your web host.)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tkroh View Post
    The reason it's complaining about the cache directory being unwritable is because you're specifying a uri (http://blah blah blah) rather than a local path (/home/username/public_html/blah blah blah).
    Thanks, I got that fixed! But originally it said (https: blah) but now it does not. Is that a bad thing?

Any ideas on the : PHP open_basedir restrictions

As for the last big stop sign, that's an authentication error with mysql. This can be a little more difficult to nail down without help from your web host, depending on the level of access they give you.

Are you sure you entered the MySQL username and password correctly? (This may very well be different from the username and password you use to access other areas of your web host.)
    I created a user for the database and gave them "all" priveledges. It is a different username and password than the one I use to login to the cpanel.

OSH, as far as I can recall, did not give me any specific username/password that I had to use to access the database, but I have not contacted them yet about this.

If / when I do, how would I best describe this problem? Would the image tell them enough information, or do I need to use specific wording?

Again, this is my first time doing this.

Thank you very much, tkroh!
    Last edited by gengo; 31 Oct 2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I got past the username problem . . . however, I have a new connection to the database problem:

same stop sign as before, except now it says:

Connection to Database failed
    Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I emailed my host (again, OpenSourceHost) but figured I would post here in case anyone here had the solution first.

Thank you again for your help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Did they tell you the correct servername to use for the Database Host ?
    It's possible that maybe "localhost" is not correct for their environment...

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah. My recommendation would be to either try 127.0.0.1 or www.yourdomain.com instead of localhost.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gengo View Post
    Thanks, I got that fixed! But originally it said (https: blah) but now it does not. Is that a bad thing?
    No, it isn't. http[s] is for accessing files over the internet. What you're specifying here is for reading and writing to files on the local file system, so it doesn't require the use of a network protocol at all, hence the irrelevance of the 's'.

(Basically, what that means is that it doesn't matter if there's no 's' behind the http part because you're not using the http part to begin with.)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gengo View Post
    Any ideas on the : PHP open_basedir restrictions
    The bad news is that this one is a little less cut and dried. The good news is that it probably doesn't matter.

ZenCart gets a tish concerned if there's anything specified for PHP's open_basedir at all (since it's worried you may have put something wrong in there). It issues a full-on warning if it looks through there and doesn't find its own path anywhere. In your case, instead of
    Code:
    /home/bbeads/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp
    try
    Code:
    /home/bbeads/public_html:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can ignore the open_basedir "warning" if things are working properly on your site.
    As the caption text above the warning says, that particular grouping of information is information-only and does not necessarily denote a problem.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.