Thread: AUSTPost module

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default AUSTPost module

Hi, hoping you can help me here.

My AUSTPost module work fine...except for one thing that bothers me...

If a customer orders a DVD, which has a weight of 100gms, the module is estimating $14.47 for shipiing from Perth to Sydney...this seems horrendous and I'm sure that this is not the actual charge!

Is there a problem with the calculation of the rates?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: AUSTPost module

By Memory
    Go to ADMIN , configuration, shipping/packaging.
    Select Package Tare Small to Medium - added percentage:weight and change to 0:0. Do the same fo Larger packages - added packaging percentage:weight

You can confirm the exact price that Aus Post will charge by going to Aus Post.

I spent a whole weekend getting this module to work but it was worth it.

Gerard

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much...it worked!

Cheers
    Sharon

Plugin Contributions

Thankyou was what I couldnt work out as well :)

Plugin Contributions

I'm having a differetn type of hiccup.

I've installed it and it works fine except it is assuming packages are parcels and what I send is classed as a large letter.

So evern though I've entered the parcel dimensions and the maximum height for large letters it's working out the cost of a parcels.

If someone could tell me where the code is or what it looks like for changing the base cost of the parcel, I am willing to change it to the $1 for large letters within Australia and $1.85 for international.

I guess as it also varies according to weight, I can always play around with the added percentage weght thingy in the CONFIG>SHIPPING/PACKAGING. But I really need to change the base cost which can't be done from the module installation settings in admin.

Thank you so much, it is greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Guys n Gals

In regards to the tare weights and the AustPost module, it is my suggestion that rather than using 0:0, you are better off using 0:40 & 0:2000, with a maximum package rate of 20000 (this is assuming you are weighing in grams, rather than kilos).
    Not only will this give more accurate rates, it also avoids several possible error messages due to invalid calculations.

A 40gm tare weight may seem to be rather insignificant, but if you are mailing an item that weighs 230gm, this 40g tare weight makes $1.00 difference in the postage cost.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

> I've installed it and it works fine except it is assuming packages are
    > parcels and what I send is classed as a large letter.

> So evern though I've entered the parcel dimensions and the maximum > height for large letters it's working out the cost of a parcels.

The primary reason that it does this is because the Aust post server itself assumes that you are sending parcels rather than letters.

> If someone could tell me where the code is or what it looks like for
    > changing the base cost of the parcel,
    > I am willing to change it to the $1 for large letters within
    > Australia and $1.85 for international.

There is no 'base cost' setting.

> I guess as it also varies according to weight, I can always
    > play around with the added percentage weght thingy in the
    > CONFIG>SHIPPING/PACKAGING. But I really need to change the base
    > cost which can't be done from the module installation settings in
    > admin.

> Thank you so much, it is greatly appreciated.

My advice to you, is that since the AustPost modules are expecting parcels rather than letters, you might be better off using the "fixed price" postage module instead. You will need to need to replicate this module using a slightly different name for each, so that you will end up with 2 'fixed prices', one for Aust, one for o/seas.

Having said that, this is one of those things that I've considered adding to the 'improved' Aust post module. However, there are a number of problems and dilemmas that need to be solved. For example, how do we tell the module that the item is small enough to be considered a letter? is it a large letter, or a small letter? We can't assume that very light items are letters, because we sell phone covers that only weigh 50gms, yet they are too large to go as a letter.
    I had thought about using the parcel dimensions, but this is currently a 'global' setting in the config/shipping&packaging menu, which means everything will be considered a letter, therefore the 'fixed price' module is more suitable anyway . I *could* modify the product database so that each item has its own dimensions, but this brings up other issues, such as what if item#1 is 100x20x110 (letter), and another is 1000x200x1100 (parcel) - Do we add these dimensions and calculate as a parcel? do we calculate and send the items separately? What about 2 parcel sized items? How do we handle those?

The current modules both work on the idea of 'boxes' - These boxes all being the same size, regardless of the quantity or size of the items going into them. It is assumed that each 'box' will hold the maximum weight that you will be mailing. I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a better solution.

One of my ideas for 'letter rates' was to have the store admin use negative weights to signify a letter rate, eg, weight -1 = small letter, weight -2 = large letter. Other than puzzling how to handle mixed letters and parcels in the same order, this could probably work. Unfortunetly, to get it to work will also mean modifying some of the core zencart modules and I really want to keep this module as simple to install or remove as possible.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Rod for your eply.

When I was thinking about this I didthink that there would be other issues ome up as I know it's not that simple. Thank you anyway, I will try the fixed option and see how that suits me.

Have a nice day.

Plugin Contributions

Me again. Just a question. I've opted for the table rate except I can't have registred/insured mail as an option, that was why I wanted to use the AustPost module as this gives the customer the option to choose if they want their orders sent registered or insured.

I guess I could always leave the AustPost and just not add a handling fee as the parcel rate covers handling and packaging for my large letter items. But if there was a way to have the option using a different method I would prefer that

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by vivaraquel View Post
    I'm having a differetn type of hiccup.

I've installed it and it works fine except it is assuming packages are parcels and what I send is classed as a large letter.

So evern though I've entered the parcel dimensions and the maximum height for large letters it's working out the cost of a parcels.

If someone could tell me where the code is or what it looks like for changing the base cost of the parcel, I am willing to change it to the $1 for large letters within Australia and $1.85 for international.

I guess as it also varies according to weight, I can always play around with the added percentage weght thingy in the CONFIG>SHIPPING/PACKAGING. But I really need to change the base cost which can't be done from the module installation settings in admin.

Thank you so much, it is greatly appreciated.
    Letter rates are now supported. V1.5.1

Rgds
    Rod

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast