Plugin Contributions

Default Title for website

Alright, I didn't want to make this post because I've read so many where the second post is "nevermind I figured it out!".

First of all, this is the store:
    http://store.madhouseminis.com
    And I would like to say that this is the first experience I've had with Zen Cart, I chose it because it's open source, very modifiable and powerful and has a strong following. Please note the store is not live yet.

So, I used this write up: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/faq.ph...#faq_overrides

specifically this part:

Example: You need to modify the title, so that instead of reading Zen Cart!, it reads Your Store Name!

Make a directory with the same name as your template name in /includes/languages, so you now have /includes/languages/custom.

Copy english.php to this directory.

Then, you can make any needed modifications in your new:
    /includes/languages/custom/meta_tags.php:
    and this (from the same write up):

Another example: in /includes/languages/custom/meta_tags.php:

define('TITLE', 'Zen Cart!');

becomes:

define('TITLE', 'Your Store Name!');
    Alright, so this is what I got:
    In:
    includes/languages/mytemplate/meta_tags.php

I modified so that it reads:
    // page title
    define('TITLE', 'Mad House Minis');

also in that directory is the english.php file, so to make sure that the overrides are working I made a slighty change to english.php, the footer now reads "opyright" instead of "Copyright" (I will change it back when this works).

So by looking at the footer, (store is http://store.madhouseminis.com ) you can see that the override for english.php is working just fine, but for some reason meta_tags.php is not overriding properly. Other than the obvious modifications I made to the stylesheet.css, you can also see that the alternate text for the logo has been changed, so yeah, as far as I know the overrides are all working properly.

So I get to thinking maybe meta_tags.php is in the wrong location, so I moved it around to some different directories and it was all to no avail, no matter where I put it, it didn't work.

I tried the following directories:
    includes/languages/mytemplate (where it is now)
    includes/languages/mytemplate/english
    includes/languages

I would like to point out that in the instructions I first quoted, there is one thing in particular that confuses me, that is this:
    Copy english.php to this directory.

Then, you can make any needed modifications in your new:
    /includes/languages/custom/meta_tags.php:
    This confuses me because it says to copy english.php, but it never said to copy meta_tags.php to the custom (template) folder. So maybe there is a step left out of the instructions? Maybe I'm missing a critical file or directory? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by DrByte; 20 Jun 2006 at 10:29 PM. Reason: updated FAQ link

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Title for website

Also, the line that says Congratulations! You have installed Zen Cart..."

I tried to override with
    includes/languages/mytemplate/index.php

intending to override the index.php in
    includes/languages/english/

I don't know for sure, but it would appear as if a lot of this stuff was written for v1.2x. I should mention I am using v1.301

Plugin Contributions

First off, you need to be congratulated for reading and following the instructions for setting up your overrides folders....

I will try to make this as self explanatory as I can:

the override system works for every folder where there is a 'classic' folder present.

What that means is that if you have named your template 'custom' then in every folder where there is a 'classic' folder, and there are files that you want to alter in that same folder, you make a 'custom' folder and copy only the files that you are wanting to change to your custom folder that you have just created.

So any file that exists in the folder you are in that you wish to change gets copied to your 'custom' folder that is in the same directory(folder).

So in this case you have created a folder with your name under includes/languages and copied the english.php into it and made your changes.

For meta_tags.php, you need to create another your named folder in includes/languages/english and copy the meta_tags.php file into it.

The same goes for any other area that there are files that you want to change, look for a 'classis' folder, if it is there create your folder in the same directory and copy the files you want to change into it.

Hope this is clear enough and assists
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra
    First off, you need to be congratulated for reading and following the instructions for setting up your overrides folders....
    Thanks! There's a lot of stuff in the faq's here, so it's fairly easy to find information since just about everything has already been asked. Though when I first started setting this up there was a FAQ on the old website here that I seem to remember being much more complete, that's still being ported over?

I will try to make this as self explanatory as I can:

the override system works for every folder where there is a 'classic' folder present.
    Yeah, I assumed that.

For meta_tags.php, you need to create another your named folder in includes/languages/english and copy the meta_tags.php file into it.
    And even though I assumed what was previously stated, I still failed to try this...it's working now!

The same goes for any other area that there are files that you want to change, look for a 'classis' folder, if it is there create your folder in the same directory and copy the files you want to change into it.
    So here's the deal with that: The classic template, being proper and everything doesn't override everything, only what it needs to, and that's where I ran into a problem. The classic template never overrides the meta_tags.php file. Also it appears the file extension is incorrect in the faq, that instead of
    /includes/languages/custom/meta_tags.php
    it is actually:
    /includes/languages/english/custom/meta_tags.php

Correct me if I am wrong...but I don't think I am since it's working now :)

Hope this is clear enough and assists
    Yup, got it working right, thanks!

Plugin Contributions

This may be the FAQ you remember. While the Wiki has very good documentation, I like this tutorial the best.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/faq.ph...l&titlesonly=0

Additional kudos for the search and research.

Best wishes.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah...Glad you got it sorted out
    quoting myself
    includes/languages/english and copy the meta_tags.php file into it.
    This is where I stated that it needed to be and what you did.

Always, any file or folder that exists in an area that has the 'classic' folder can be copied to your custom folder that you create there.

Moving it to another location with a your custom folder will have no effect. As this is essectially what you did by placing the meta_tags.php copy ( that exists in includes/languages/english ) into your custom folder at

includes/languages/custom when it needed to be under where it is located at

includes/languages/english/custom

Anyway glad that you are sorted out now...
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Always, any file or folder that exists in an area that has the 'classic' folder can be copied to your custom folder that you create there.
    This is important/good to know, if it's stated anywhere in the setup stuff, I must've missed it, I didn't read the entire thing after all

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the comming weeks.