Plugin Contributions

Default 1.3 & Peekaboo Bug IE6

My thanks to Kim for alerting me to this annoyingl bug in IE6 whereby content can appear and disappear and then re-appear just by scrolling down a page.

The so-called Peekaboo Bug is well known in CSS circles and this minor edit to your stylesheet solves it:

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p {
    position: relative;
    }

There are other tweaks as well but this solved my issue.

For those that want to see it in action and read more:

http://www.evolt.org/article/MSIE6_b...cers/17/23899/

Default Re: 1.3 & Peekaboo Bug IE6

Whoa... works like a charm and thanks for sharing that!
    Attempting upgrade and hoping for the best
    www.dogfusion.com

Plugin Contributions

Just a heads up!

This will cause an error in Firefox and Safari (at least on my mac) on the account page. It caused all of the links to not work. Just an FYI!!

Plugin Contributions

From the instances that I've seen of the peekaboo bug on Zen Cart sites (including my very own first ZC site) it was usually encouraged by people over enthusiastically setting background colors on everything, instead of letting their CSS "cascade" the color down as cascading stylesheets are very good at doing.

Removing unnecessary CSS has solved every one that I've seen to date.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    From the instances that I've seen of the peekaboo bug on Zen Cart sites (including my very own first ZC site) it was usually encouraged by people over enthusiastically setting background colors on everything, instead of letting their CSS "cascade" the color down as cascading stylesheets are very good at doing.

Removing unnecessary CSS has solved every one that I've seen to date.
    I know that this is an old thread but it was a "new" problem for me. I would like to say that kuroi is correct about the misuse of the stylesheet. I had the peekaboo bug and it turned out to be just as stated. Setting too many background images/colors... I'm just learning about the stylesheet and every time I learn something new.

So the moral of this story is... if you have the peekaboo bug, start by going to your stylesheet.css and start commenting out your calls to background images/colors. Once you have them commented out, go back and add them back in one by one. This way you will find out what calls are required and which ones are not. Plus you will probably solve the peekaboo issue 2! I know that mine was fixed using this method.. plus made the web site faster to load without all the un-needed calls

Thanks K

Plugin Contributions

Grrr-The IE peekaboo bug.

site: www.AllClaveParts.com

I have tried all the recommendations I could find and cannot remedy the problem.

Added the "position:relative" statement & commented out all background colors/images with no change

Added the "line-height:1.2;"

Checked background colors against text colors (although I believe this is where the problem is because the text is there when you highlight it)

Removed the logo completely. Switched templates (including classic & cherry zen) Problem persists through all of them.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but parse time is consistently greater than 20 seconds (admin is very fast).

Validated CSS and Run html Tidy (only warnings consisting of document type)

Checked: stylesheet.css, tpl_header.php, header.php, config.php, configuration.php, index.php

I don't know what to do!

I am not a programmer and understand very little, but trying to learn.

Would appreciate any help.

Wally

Plugin Contributions

The Peek-a-boo IE bug has nothing to do with Validation but is strictly an IE problem.

I do believe that wherever you are having the problem you need to add this to the styling.

height:1%

Should correct the problem in IE 6 but might give a problem in Safari Browser.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    The Peek-a-boo IE bug has nothing to do with Validation but is strictly an IE problem.

I do believe that wherever you are having the problem you need to add this to the styling.

height:1%

Should correct the problem in IE 6 but might give a problem in Safari Browser.

Thank you!

But I tried that too! Maybe I am not getting the right pages or the right locations - or maybe both.

I have also run a comparison (winmerge) between a fresh copy of zc version 1.37 & compared it to what is online and still cannot locate the problem. I just can't see the forest for the trees.

I even uploaded the original style sheet and still can't get rid of it.

I have googled this as well, and get basically the same recommendations. If I upgrade to 1.38, is there a chance it will correct the problem?

Thx

Wally

Plugin Contributions

I am inclined to think it isn't a true peek-a-boo bug but that it is related to the invalid HTML - you have some bad errors. Fix them first and then see what happens.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...veparts.com%2F
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.