Thread: Help

Plugin Contributions

Default Help

Hey everyone
    This is the first time ive tried to create a website so im a total newbie
    Im finding the whole zencart very good and easy to use, my only problem is customizing it.

The problem is my webhosting server installed the zencart for me and so all the files that people are talking about in previous topics - ie includes/templates etc i cant find! I dont seem to have anything stored on my actual computer so im really stuck

Im i doing something stupid or missing something....any help would be great,
    Thanks
    Samantha

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help

You need to get a FTP program. Then get it configured to connect to your web host.

You can then see the files on your host, transfer the files you might need to edit to your PC, edit them and transfer them back to your host and so forth.

You can google for FTP clients, or free ftp clients a couple are "ACEFTP" or "SmartFTP". You should also have a code editor, one is "crimson" .

Before you embark on this, please reasearch the posts here for 'overrides', a system in Zencart that allows you to edit files and place them in folders you create named after your "custom" tmeplate name.

This is very important as if you error in an edit you can always re-copy the original as you have not changed it. Also later when a patch or upgrade is required your customized files will not be over-written causing you to lose all your customizations.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help

Hey as far as FTP program goes, I was using SmartFTP and it wasn't transferring folders in their entirety. My stuff looked like swiss cheese, files missing all over. I switched to FileZilla which was free and is ten times faster. So far seems to be getting every last bit when I move things. Contact your host and ask them for: FTP Login, FTP password, host name, database name and I think that's it. I was really confused the first time I tried to set up my FTP. If you already knew all this then just iggy me