Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

You will need access to your FTP Server, a good image editing software (I recommend Adobe PhotoShop 7-8.0) The file that dictates what your pages will look like is called Stylesheet.css & your image folder.

The path (through your FTP Server) is:

Includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images

There is allot of good people here willing to help you, I am still learning myself & also use frontpage, though I am still familiarizing myself with the code, it is well worth the time. GOOD LUCK!!
    Fabio-
    ~Zenning one day at a time~
    www.apostle.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe
    Sometimes us "professionals" tend to leave the installation and tutorials in the shrink wrap.
    Had you added the demo items to your installation, you would have had many examples of how to "manage" ZenCart including all you ever wanted to know about EZ-Pages.
    Might want to check the links in your sig.
    See, that was the funny thing. I never load demo data, because all too many times I've had to spend a day or so tracking down all of it to remove it. I did let it load the demo EZ pages. The *first* thing I did after installing (and I followed the readme for that) was to look for a manual. Nope, no manual. So, I went looking for an online manual. Nothing.

So, I started searching the forum. Found the wiki. Downloaded a buncha stuff on the override system, knowing I'd need that. Then hunted down the info on the EZ pages. I had found the demo pages, but they really didn't say all that much about the 3 or 4 places you have to turn 'on' to make them show up.

My main concern is that I have to train my customer on this package. He's *not* a webbie. He's a pool hall owner who thinks Front Page is all that. He will be updating his main page (which is in EZ pages) regularly. This isn't going to be fun, because he'll be *very* confuzzled by the way Zen is laid out.

OK, my next suggestion (along with many of the others in this thread):

A CSS map. I'd like to know what CSS files, and where in those files the various areas come from.

Right now I'm planning on changing the EZ pages sidebox to display menus similar to the CSS flyout menus I'm using on my product catalog.
    The site is here:
    http://216.14.216.28/index.php?main_page=index

Not a problem, I'm fairly used to CSS, and Topstyle Pro is a nice little program that makes working with CSS pretty easy, so it shouldn't be that big an issue.

But with the heavy emphasis on CSS, I'm with all the others in that it needs to be given a piece of the 'getting started with Zen' document. It has a lot of power, and if you can find what you need, the rest of it sort of falls into place.

(Thanks for the heads up on the links in my sig, I'd accidently done it like an href, LOL - more sleep, less coding, I guess)

Vicky - running off to finish my design changes....

Plugin Contributions

vicky,

If you use firefox, you can try install web developer plugin. it helps identify CSS class and id easier just by hovering over the section you want to identify...
    I found it a must have tool when work with Zen design.

Plugin Contributions

Bruce,

I am a new Zenner and between programmers. I do not know my way around code but use common sense in working around the drop downs and catelgories. Any help you can as far as a a guide would be great.

There are alot of us that are using Zen because their particular hosting company uses it. As you probably know it is often hard to find your human"host" to answer questions and make the small changes needed when growing a business. I find dealing with all of this very overwhelming.

Any help you could bring to the table would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Add me to the list of people who could have used a commented css stylesheet. I had gotten my head wrapped around the 1.2.x version, and the 1.3.0 threw me off again.

Just things to say like: this is the background of the navigation bar, etc.

Probably many people like me are new to both zencart and css, so learning both at once is quite a headful of info.
    Tim

Plugin Contributions

What I would like to see is an index that indicates where to go to look at the code, change or modify each thing that can be changed. For example, what admin tab, code module, etc do I co to to change a certain feature.

I started in the spring and got a test store up on my computer (I use XAMPP which is an apache server, php, mysql, etc to provide a good test environment on a windows machine) and learned from the forum how to build my database with EXCELL. My store worked fairly well but my product supplier came out with a record amount of new products, so I started over in EXCELL. When I got the data ready to load, I came back to the forum and learned about the new version and patches. This time I started over and did it right. I like what i've got and am only a week or two from going live.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by buyway
    What I would like to see is an index that indicates where to go to look at the code, change or modify each thing that can be changed. For example, what admin tab, code module, etc do I co to to change a certain feature.

I started in the spring and got a test store up on my computer (I use XAMPP which is an apache server, php, mysql, etc to provide a good test environment on a windows machine) and learned from the forum how to build my database with EXCELL. My store worked fairly well but my product supplier came out with a record amount of new products, so I started over in EXCELL. When I got the data ready to load, I came back to the forum and learned about the new version and patches. This time I started over and did it right. I like what i've got and am only a week or two from going live.
    Try here in the Wiki Top 10 Questions asked by new Zen Cart™ Users

and here for an admin glossary

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by roaryg
    Add me to the list of people who could have used a commented css stylesheet. I had gotten my head wrapped around the 1.2.x version, and the 1.3.0 threw me off again.

Just things to say like: this is the background of the navigation bar, etc.

Probably many people like me are new to both zencart and css, so learning both at once is quite a headful of info.
    While I admit that some of the selectors are not reflective of what they are or do, I think that the properties are fairly self-explanatory:

Code:
    #navMainWrapper { /* this is the selector for the main navigation bar. */
    	margin: 0em;
    	background-color: #9a9a9a; /* I'd say this fairly self-explanatory */
    	font-weight: bold;
    	color: #ffffff; */ this refers to the text color */
    	height: 1%;
    	width: 100%;
    	}
    A stylesheet guide is being worked on.

Plugin Contributions

Did this project ever get finished or published anywhere?

Plugin Contributions

Sections of the QSM are still being worked on.

Some secitons have been published in the wiki.

Top 10 Questions asked by new Zen Cart™ Users

Useful Tools For Working With Zen Cart™

Creating a New Template for v1.3.0+

Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast