Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

I don't konw if this is where to post this, but here it is. Perhaps something like this can be put in the New Zenner's Help Guide?

I had asked the question about emails generated after the shopping cart was up and running. Don’t know if this will help, but on my site (which has SSL), here’s what I found.

There are four (4) types of e-mails generated by the ZEN-Cart WEB Site.

1. Subject: [CREATE ACCOUNT] Welcome to “My WEB Site”
    2. Subject: Message from “My WEB Site”
    3. Subject: [NEW ORDER] Order Confirmation No. xx
    4. Subject: [EXTRA CC ORDER info] #xx

E-Mail #1 and #2 has to do with Customer’s Registrations and Questions:

1. [CREATE ACCOUNT] is simply a copy of the e-mail sent to the Customer when they
    Registered and created a password.

a. This e-mail can be ignored and deleted, if you’d like.
    b. If the details on any customer is needed… Go to“My WEB Site”– Admin. Login and move cursor to (green strip) “Customers” (DO NOT CLICK HERE. A drop down menu will appear), then click on “customers” in the drop down menu.
    c. What you will then see is a list of all the customers that have registered.
    d. To view a specific customer, click on the (i) in the Action Column and then click on [edit] in the right hand box. The Details, address, etc. will appear.
    e. To go back to the Customer List, click on [cancel] in the lower right corner or [Back] in the upper right hand corner.
    f. At this point, if desired, other customer’s information can be selected (Repeat steps D & E)
    g. When done… Click on [Logoff] on the upper right (black strip)

2. Message from “My WEB Site”-- This is where someone who is looking at the WEB Site and decided to send you an e-mail question or comment thru the WEB Site (vs using your E-Mail Address.

a. This e-mail should be answered and/or dealt with!
    b. When done, it could probably be moved into a “Customers” keep folder.

E-Mail #3 and #4 has to do with Customer’s Orders:

3. [NEW ORDER] Order Confirmation No. xx -- This a copy of an e-mail that was sent to the customer after they placed an order.

a. Keeping the e-mail in the “in folder” is not needed. However it should probably be moved into the “Orders” folder for future reference or deleted if one is comfortable with that.
    b. Make note of the Order Number (No. xx). This No. xx is the order number assigned by the ZenCart program.
    c. The Order Number (No. xx) will be needed to match up to a follow-up email (Item 4) that will be sent by the program (SSL Secure Certification) and will have as the subject: [EXTRA CC ORDER info] #xx.
    d. This e-mail “[EXTRA CC ORDER info] #xx” will have the middle VISA or Mastercharge Credit Card numbers that are missing from the Customer’s Order. (This is what provides the security to the Customer CC info).
    e. Print a copy and move this e-mail to the “Orders” folder. This copy will later be attached to the Customer’s Order (These CC Numbers are needed to complete the charges).
    f. To ready the Order to print… Go to “My WEB Site” – Admin. Login and move cursor to (green strip) “Customers” (DO NOT CLICK HERE…. A drop down menu will appear), then click on “Orders” in the drop down menu.
    g. What you will then see is a list of all the Orders from customers.
    h. To view a specific customer, click on the (e) in the Action Column.
    i. The Details of the Order will appear. Note the Customer’s info is there, the date ordered, Items ordered, Prices along with the first and last part of the Credit Card numbers, as well as the Expiration Date.
    j. One way to print the order is by clicking on the “Print Symbol” in the upper right hand corner of the Gray WEB band. (After printing, attach a copy of the e-mail “[EXTRA CC ORDER info] #xx” to the Printed Order to have the missing info available.
    k. Some may do better by making use of the [Invoice] and [Packing Slip] feature for this step.
    l. To go back to the Order List, click on [Orders] in the lower right corner or [Back] at the top right of the page.
    m. At this point another Order can be selected (Repeat steps f thru k)
    n. If done… Click on [Logoff] on the upper right (black strip)

Please keep in mind, this is how my site is set up and YOUR’s may be different! Not being a tech writer, I present this only as a help in understanding the process and I know of no where that this information is written. The details may not be exact and I’m sure the other options are probably many more than what I have here (keep in mind that I too am a newbee).

Russssssssssssssssss

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cmcgaugh View Post
    Clyde,

I've checked the link above and it's very helpful info. I'm still trying to
    get my head around it all. You can do those things piece-meal, but I
    think it would be very helpful to new users to have an overview of the
    relationships between the files....eg, I didn't realize the php loaded every
    css in the folder regardless of the name.....I thought they were linked as
    in an html page to a certain css.

Also a "Yellow Brick Road" , "step-by-step, what to do first, where do we go from here now that it's installed" is what I thought the "Things every New Zenner needs to know" project was about....there have been a lot of suggestions and questions since it was first started 7/06, but haven't heard
    how it's coming.....maybe an update would be helpful.

In the meantime, I'm printing out the pdf, faqs, Wiki info, etc so I can better
    understand the overall structure. I'm hoping it will suddenly gel, the clouds
    will part, and bright sunshine will beam down, and I'll hear the Halleleujah Chorus like when I finally understood the file system on my PC.

"Never give up, never give up...." Winston Churchill

"Yellow Brick Road" , "step-by-step, what to do first, where do we go from here now that it's installed"
    Could not have said it better myself.... that is exactly what I'm looking for and can't seem to find. Its broken into SOME step by step instructions, but I can't find a total step by step and I'm so afraid I'll miss something!!
    This is my 3rd store (1st using ZenCart), but I had help with the other 2 and I'm so afriad I'll leave something out or forget to edit somewhere or something. I also remember from the other stores (used OsCommerce) that some things need to be done in a certain order to work properly. Not sure if this is the same with Zen or not, but guess I'll be finding out. I know I can edit the header before I edit the sales tax info....stuff like that have nothing to really do with eachother, but what I'm looking for is step by step so that I don't FORGET to edit the sales tax info OR the header (that would be hard to miss since its visible, but hopefully you get what I mean!)
    Is there ONE place (link/page...) that has it all ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Lalla
    LilleyPadGifts

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LilleyPadGifts View Post
    "Yellow Brick Road" , "step-by-step, what to do first, where do we go from here now that it's installed"
    Could not have said it better myself.... that is exactly what I'm looking for and can't seem to find. ...
    I still haven't found one either, but here's what I'm doing in the mean time
    (post-installation):

• Printed the FAQs & PDF manual.....easier to find things (IMHO) than
      the PDF.
    • finally figured out the override system (with the help of several
      patient posts from Merlin & others), and by reading the info in the FAQs
      and at the Wiki.....really pretty easy.
    • Created a custom template using another template with my css
      and graphics.....haven't tried modifying the .tpl files yet.
    • Used CraftZombie's No Login files (coded by PaulM)
      http://craftzombie.com/zencart/No_Ac...-dec-29-06.zip
    • am replacing categories & products, removing sideboxes,
      banners, etc in a demo cart rather than start with an empty cart....
      there are so many bells & whistles in Zen Cart!
    I'm not sure how others have gone about it.....maybe if they just
    put what they did (basically) & in what order it would be sufficient to
    get a new user off in the right direction.

E.g. "After installing ZenCart I did this, then that, etc...." There may be such a thread already(?)
    If there isn't one, I'll start it off if no one else does.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that info!
    I think my main concern here is that I get different answer from different people... not on this board, but other posts. I know that I'm not doing it correctly in advance for upgrades, but when I ask if I should have the files in a my_template folder, I'm told no, just use the folder they are in. Its very confusing!
    I'm asked now how to protect my dirs and files, the response I got to that was ... post a url, I was hesitant because obviously I just told everyone that my files aren't protected, so now they want to know how to get to them? I posted the URL, but now wondering if I should have.

Oh it boggles the mind!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that info!
    I think my main concern here is that I get different answer from different people... not on this board, but other posts. I know that I'm not doing it correctly in advance for upgrades, but when I ask if I should have the files in a my_template folder, I'm told no, just use the folder they are in. Its very confusing!
    I'm asked now how to protect my dirs and files, the response I got to that was ... post a url, I was hesitant because obviously I just told everyone that my files aren't protected, so now they want to know how to get to them? I posted the URL, but now wondering if I should have.

Oh it boggles the mind!
    I've been boggled, too....inhale...exhale, inhale...exhale....it will come to you.
    Find a quiet spot....I got a lot done over the weekend in the desert.

...when I ask if I should have the files in a my_template folder....
    Can you send me the thread so I can see what you
    asked and the reply?

re: unprotected files........change the permissions so the folder is not
    readable(?) Did you see this info on security in the FAQs?
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?category=14

Hang in there,

Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...t=56121&page=2

hope that works, I still think I should have moved the files to a different dir so that I could edit them and not be messing with the original. I made a backup, but still....whats the point of the my_template folder it said to create?

Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...t=56121&page=2

....what's the point of the my_template folder it said to create?
    If you downloaded the "BlueStrip" template..... copy it to the /includes/templates
    folder... modify the graphics or css and rename it "LilleyPads".

If you go to Admin > Tools > Template Selection you will still see "BlueStrip" even though the template folder is named LilleyPads, untill you change the name in the template_info.php to "LilleyPads"......note it will tell you what folder it's in, too.

If you want to use the overrides system then as you make changes to the various php files save them in folders
    named "LilleyPads" ......see the overrides system info in the FAQs......where ever there
    is a folder called "classic", create a folder next to it called "LilleyPads"
    since that's the name of your selected template and Zencart looks for the
    phps in folders named the same as the selected template....if it doesn't find
    your folder, it uses the default phps in classic.

Clear as mud? It will "click" if it hasn't already. Let me know if
    that helped or was too complicated.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones View Post
    the database files are installed when zen cart is installed.

check the wiki and the tutorials along with searching the forum. Lots of information in these areas.
    Okay, I have a REALLY simple question which I have been unable to find the answer to in any forum, wiki, walkthru or guide, including all the ones mentioned several times in this thread (I just sifted through all of it...lot of good info).

I have seen in numerous places to "be sure you back up your database" before making some potentially disastrous update. And your response to the guy asking about the database files before was what is quoted above (back on page 18 if you need a refresh).

Can anyone explain or point me to where it has already been explained HOW to backup your database? I have seen "back up your database from the admin panel", but I am missing something (besides most of my original braincells...) if it's in there. I know it's not just "copy all the files on your server somewhere safe", though that wouldn't hurt, of course.

Thanks for all the info I've gathered here since deciding to do this!

Plugin Contributions

Instructions for backing up your database can be found here:

www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=103

The simpler way is to download and install the backup contribution available in the downloads section:

Backup MYSQL Plugin

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones View Post
    Instructions for backing up your database can be found here:

www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=103

The simpler way is to download and install the backup contribution available in the downloads section:

Backup MYSQL Plugin
    Figured it was something dumb I was doing "backup database" didn't find that as a search string.

Thanks!

-James

Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast