Page 46 of 74 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

The book DOES contain a lot of info, but not about applying modifications (in the sense of the add-on modules from the download section). It is primarily about setting up and using the admin for things like zones, taxes, products, categories, attributes etc.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Yes, CSS and PHP examples and/or sample templates with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions in plain English for non CSS and PHP savvy zenners would be great!

I am finding quite a bit of info about editing files, but exactly WHERE to find those files and exactly HOW to do what is instructed is very confusing.

Examples, Samples, and simple to follow instructions to use as a guide would be appreciated very much.
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com
    Magickal & Metaphysical supplies/services

Plugin Contributions

And there are tutorials like that out there. (see my sig line) Or Google "Zen Cart Tutorials" and you'll find a bunch.

The e-Start book is a great starting point -- and a great reference book. But there comes a time when you have to decide what does and doesn't go in a book. And As it is, it's what, 400 pages? The author couldn't cover every aspect of templates because they are themselves weighty topics. I highly recommend it to everyone just starting out with Zen Cart, because it will answer, for most people, 90% of their questions when they're setting up their cart. (There's always the odd question that isn't in there. There are too many differences with server configurations, etc. not to have questions outside the "norm.") Once you are ready to go forth and customize, however, you might need extra assistance, depending on your skill level.

I also suggest going to the FAQ page (link at the top of the page) and looking through there. Quite a bit of good information there too on where to find files, the template override system basics, etc.

HTH,
    Lesli in SW Florida ~ writer, teacher, and dodging hurricanes!

The response from madmumbler is one of the reasons I abandoned Zen Cart.

There is a blind spot to providing basic information and instructions to the beginner. The FAQ's, WIKI and eBook are all written with the idea that everyone should intuitively know the basic structure and interfaces of the Zen Cart application.

But, as I was once told, you get what you pay for.

Zen Cart is a great and powerful application, if you already know how to modify and set it up. It does not, however, have documentation for the beginner.
    Life is a Team effort with God leading.

Plugin Contributions

WHAnderson, you are correct in what you said about a Beginner because people are Beginners all over the place.

Some are Beginners at using Web site software; their Browser, FTP, Hosting Control Panel, etc.
    Some are Beginners at coding; HTML, JS, PHP, etc.
    Some are Beginners at using a script Admin section; any script Admin.
    Some are Beginners at using Zen Cart but know the first 3.

The last Category is what this Forum is about and who it is for.

Unfortunately, many people are in one or more of the first 3 Catagories PLUS the last one. That makes it difficult to provide help as typing out the same instructions on how to use; an FTP program, HTML Editor, etc. PLUS instructions for their Zen Cart problem, is left out of many instructions; be they in a Book about a particular script or in a Forum Reply.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by WHAnderson View Post
    The response from madmumbler is one of the reasons I abandoned Zen Cart.

There is a blind spot to providing basic information and instructions to the beginner. The FAQ's, WIKI and eBook are all written with the idea that everyone should intuitively know the basic structure and interfaces of the Zen Cart application.

But, as I was once told, you get what you pay for.

Zen Cart is a great and powerful application, if you already know how to modify and set it up. It does not, however, have documentation for the beginner.
    There is a lot of information out there if you are patient and can find it. *LOL*

I'm fortunate that I'm a writer first and foremost, and because I'm not rich (still waiting for those lottery numbers...) I am totally self-taught.

I think a huge problem with many "newbies" isn't a lack of knowledge -- it's a lack of patience.

I have taught senior citizen women, many who BARELY (no exaggeration) knew how to turn on their computer, to learn their embroidery digitizing programs. Most of them came into my classes with the mindset, "I'll NEVER learn this!" when they first looked at the manuals (written mostly in Japan by program engineers who have English as a second language). That's how I ended up writing software tutorials. I write what I wish was around when I started.

But I'm not a programmer. Far from it. I am, however, very very stubborn, and very, very patient.

I've seen a lot of people post in the middle of the night U.S. time wanting an immediate answer (usually one covered in the FAQs here on the site) and then posting back fifteen minutes later upset that no one has replied.

That shows a lack of patience.

When I approach a new piece of software, while I will admit to a few swearing sessions and wanting to throw something through a wall, if I step away for a while, switch tracks, then come back and read through different things, usually it will click.

Another common mistake is someone will come in and want Zen Cart installed NOW. RIGHT NOW! Fully customized and tweaked and ready to go. And that isn't possible, even for the most highly-skilled programmer of Zen Cart software.

So I hope one day you will come back to Zen Cart and take a look at it again. It really is great software (and I looked at several). It is very powerful (albeit sometimes frustrating).

And bring your patience.

Lots, and lots of patience.

Plugin Contributions

THANK YOU very much for that madmumbler

I was beginning to doubt whether I could REALLY pull off a zencart site and I have spent quite a bit of time perusing the boards, FAQ's, etc. before ultimately posting what seemed to me like some VERY basic questions (directories I can't find, EXACTLY where to find the lines to be modified, etc.)

I also purchased the Zencart Manual book (before I saw your e-books on LuLu - which I plan to get a few of, too!) and started using it, which helps, too.

Anyway, just glad to hear that my patience and perseverance WILL pay off... and how exciting it will be when I can come back to these boards to say "I DID IT" and offer help to others that will be where I am now...
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Craft Magick!

When I first downloaded ZC over two years ago, it took me HOURS to figure out how to install it (no, I didn't read the FAQs *LOL*) because I looked at the .zip file with WinZip and didn't "see" the file structure. *LOL* Once I realized DUH I had to unzip the thing to my hard drive, I was able to go on from there. *LOL*

I've progressed from there to customizing my own templates. I didn't even try to tackle the template for several months, because my old site scheme, the classic green fit in perfectly. *LOL* I changed the logo and background colors, but nothing else.

So newbies should realize that it's not an overnight process. IF you're an expert with php and css, yes, you will make faster progress. If you're converting your store over from an existing site, take your time to properly learn ZC's template override system and take baby steps. There will come a time where it will suddenly click and you'll take off like a rocket. That point is different for everyone.

I've used different systems, from static HTML PayPal pages (what a PAIN!) to a built-in system from a host (who shall remain nameless, but it was useless!) and now finally to ZC. I love ZC. For me, it fits my needs nearly perfectly. (If I can just figure out how to better integrate ZC and Joomla, it will be totally perfect. *LOL*)

Patience. Lots and LOTS of patience. If someone can read and has patience, then I can nearly guarantee they WILL learn ZC. But they have to have patience and take their time and work through it at a reasonable pace.

AND folks, don't be too cheap to buy the e-Start book. If you have problems and little patience, it is a timesaver. And take time to really look through the FAQ and Wiki pages.

And this is for everyone -- don't forget to donate to the ZC project! :) This site costs them money to run, and their valuable time. If you had to buy an out of the box software, it would cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. So donate to them for their time and effort for giving us Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the tips, madmumbler. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around the boards and I hope to chat with you again

Well, I'm off to work on my new ZC store

Warmest Regards,
    C
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com

Plugin Contributions

How about a question for a really new Zenner? How do I post a new thread to this forum?

Is it on my screen and I just can't see it?

Page 46 of 74 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast