Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Quote Originally Posted by melmeier01 View Post
    i have a lot of problems with the lingo. Also so many things are assumed in the tutorials, for example, last night I was trying to set up a downloadable product. I found the tutorial about attributes & finally figured all of that out, but had NO IDEA that I had to put my file in the "downloads" folder. I finally figured it out, but I really think that the instructions for these things should be written as if to someone who has no experience. The very beginning of those instructions should have had step-by-step instructions for how to put my file in the folder, ie 1. zip your file. 2.using an FTP progran put it here: (give a tree or whatever it is called). Be sure when you name it in the attributes that it has .zip as part of the name. None of this was there & it caused me a lot of frustration. I have had so many similar experiences with tutorials & when I have posted for help. The basic stuff is left out & therefore the answers either don't make sense or there are big holes in the info becuase of my lack of skills & experience. I would include the link to the tutorial/downloadable instructions that I used, but can't find it now.
    This is the tutorial for downloadable products in the Tutorials/FAQ section

article=71

Near the bottom of that tutorial is the following, which I think answers the questions you addressed.

Important Facts about Download Settings

1. Downloads are NOT Virtual Products so use:
    Product is Virtual: No, Shipping Address Required
    2. Downloads are NOT Always Free Shipping so use:
    Always Free Shipping: No, Normal Shipping Rules
    3. Downloads in an order by itself will never see the checkout_shipping page ... if you do then your Product is setup wrong for Downloads
    4. If not on a Windows server, meaning Linux/Unix, /pub should be 777 and Redirect should be ON
    If you cannot use Redirect ON, ask your hosting site why they cannot follow the symbolic link between the /download and /pub directories
    5. If on a Windows server, /pub does NOT need to be writable/777 as you do not use this directory; and Redirect is OFF as you cannot use Redirect
    6. Download filenames should not use special characters, spaces and the like
    7. Download files should be Zipped for best results and browser compatibility
    8. Download files should be loaded to the /download directory
    9. On the Admin->Catalog->Attributes Controller you should see a green dot next to the filename of the Download itself

Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure if this is spot for this question or not-

On my product info page I am trying to do a few layout things and can't seem to figure it out-

1. I want to change the size and color of font for the price-
    2. I want place "Add to Cart" directly beneath the "Price"-
    3. I would also like to put "Tell a Friend", "write a Review" "Next or Previous" under price With Buy Now at the Bottom and the Product info beneath that-
    4. I want to change "Add to Cart" to "Buy Now"

I've been looking for hours to find the info to make these changes, please Help-

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Hi everyone, I've been customizing my css files for a couple of weeks now, and spending a lot of time hunting-and-pecking to figure out what changes what, but I'm stumped on something that's probably super simple. I tried looking it up, but I'm not sure what search terms to use in the developer tools (they seem over-broad).

So, I hope you forgive the lame question:

Where do I change the text color of the product title in the shopping cart display? I'm talking about the product that shows up in the center column, that is within a subcategory -- you get to it by selecting a category, then choosing an item from the list. The product shows up on a page, underneath a "product 1/xxx" header, with "previous," "next" and "list" buttons.

I am using a custom template, but I'm sure that this information is from the default template.

Also, I have changed the titles on the main page center column, but they do not also change on this display page.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best to all,
    ilsita

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by 1fghjkl View Post
    I'm not sure if this is spot for this question or not-

On my product info page I am trying to do a few layout things and can't seem to figure it out-

1. I want to change the size and color of font for the price-
    2. I want place "Add to Cart" directly beneath the "Price"-
    3. I would also like to put "Tell a Friend", "write a Review" "Next or Previous" under price With Buy Now at the Bottom and the Product info beneath that-
    4. I want to change "Add to Cart" to "Buy Now"

I've been looking for hours to find the info to make these changes, please Help-

Thanks
    I might be able to help with a couple of these questions:

First, the 4th question: Which "add to cart" are you talking about? Do you mean the button itself? If so, you will have to either find a "buy now" button in the files and replace it, or create one and upload it, and change the name in "/includes/languages/english/button_names.php" From here, you can also change the hover text that pops up when your customer rolls over the button.

Or, are looking to change the actual text next to the form where you can adjust the quantity? I did that, but I will have to retrace my steps, so let me know if that's the case, and I'll let you know what I did.

I am stumped myself on how to re-organize the display. I was able to move the "Add to cart" to the bottom right, instead of left, just by changing "float left" to "float right" in my css, under "Shopping Cart Display" in my main template file. But, I noticed that these items are kind of bundled together as centered content in tpl_products_next_previous.php. I haven't taken the time to pick through it all and figure that out, but perhaps that will give you some direction.

On your zen-cart admin page, under tools, is a feature called "developers took kit," which is very helpful for finding the exact items you want to edit. I have found the very last form on the page to be indispensable when I'm trying to edit something I have no idea how to pinpoint. It allows you to look up anything in any file (just write in, for instance, "add to cart" and select "all files" and see what pops up for you).

I hope I didn't confuse you even more. I also hope some smartypants comes in here and gives you some better answers.

ilsita

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

I am new to Zen and this forum.

The biggest help to me right now would be to have a VERY SIMPLE walk-thru example cart.

A friend who wants to sell a single book has asked me to put up a website for him. The rest of the website is not a problem.

However, I have never used a shopping cart program before. I came to Zen hoping it would be simple... and I am sure it will be once I see it done!

But I don't know where to start.

Robert

Plugin Contributions

Hello!

Total Newbi? yes
    overwhelmed? yes
    discouraged? no
    lost? yes
    current issue? configuring downloads
    lost my reference thread in the forum (I'm sure it's here somewhere... lol)

basic setup parameters:
    photos and video footage on a download basis only (at this time). No options are needed outside of a "download now" button to add the item to the cart before checkout and download. (size and quality options will be added later as applicable) (and as I learn)

details:
    created option name "download"
    chose option style "file" (don't need a radio or dropdown since there's currently no hard copy production)
    created option value "MPG File"

here's where I'm stuck already:
    option name "download" doesn't show up in any of the dropdown boxes to match the opton value "MPG File" to it.

Maybe I didn't set up my test product correctly.
    I'm confused about the settings:
    "Product is Virtual" (instructions tell me to set this to "no" for a downloadable product) and
    "Always free Shipping" (again the tuttorial says to set to "no"? there is no shipping for downloads???)

stuck
    HELP (lol)

thanks
    Last edited by AMPphoto; 8 Oct 2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo (that I found right away)

Plugin Contributions

PS:
    can't find anything in article=71 tutorial for downloadable products to tell me how to set a product for download only. It seems to insist on creating a radio button or dropdown before it will work.

Plugin Contributions

Your selection of option style as "file" is causing the problem as that attribute type is for customers to upload something to your store.

Downloads require attributes that are of "radio" or "dropdown" option styles besides the other settings mentioned in the Tutorial/FAQs article you referenced.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your reply. I've noticed that there's no visible radio button next to your own product. This is encouraging.

Plugin Contributions

There is a radio button on our own product page but it does not appear in the browser due to a customization we made. However, the radio button and it's contents are still visible to search engines.

Essentially, we added a HTML 'div' tag to wrap the product attributes display area and styled the 'div' tag with the "display:none' CSS property to prevent it from being displayed to end users.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast