Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

what i'd suggest is a run down of the files that will require editing/customization. for example, point out the manadtory
    included > languages > english > CUSTOM > [list of php documents to edit with content]

and suggest
    includes > languages > CUSTOM > english.php (for footer text)
    includes > templates > CUSTOM > common > tpl_header.php (etc)
    includes > templates > CUSTOM > css > stylesheet.css

also, the files needed to customize for emailings. basically, all the documents required to be edited in take out default text like the infamous "Your sales text goees here."

a visual of what is what (columns, modules, "boxes", etc) in relation to the admin control panel would have been very useful for me. i'd suggest a few screen shots pages with areas circled or highlighted and labled. it took me a while to decifer what the menu items and much more the individual setting items under "Configuration" and "Tools".

zen cart has its own language because of specifying/identifying so many objects. once breaking through that, i got rolling better... even after buying the 390-page manual.

thanks for taking on making a clearer "jump start aid"

Plugin Contributions

This thread was started 40 months ago to gather the most often asked questions/first stumbling blocks for newbies and put them in one place. You can find them in the Tuts/FAQs here (25 articles):
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?category=16

Get to know ZC's file structure (you say you have it on your computer). Most customizations will be made to files in the /includes/ folder. Read the articles in the docs folder (that came with ZC) about installation, upgrading, securing your site, etc.

Learn about the template override system. (Search Tuts/FAQs for "overrides"). Print out one of the charts. Here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=143
    or here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_page=product_contrib_info&products_id=298

You can view the free templates in action here:
    http://(sorry, site offline)/

Be prepared for frustration. There is a learning curve.
    But, stick with it. You'll be glad you did!
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Forgot to mention the Wiki ...lots of info. Link at top right.

Here's a visual/terms of ZC's basic template structure:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Visual_Overview_of_ZenCart
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lefthandedgoth View Post
    ...I suspect that most of the developers who linger in the forums, waiting to answer questions, are not merchants. They are developers, with specialized knowledge. Some lurk in order to show how great they are. Some wait to see if they can be helpful. How many of them are engaged in a shop of their own?...
    whether they are or are not is irrelevant i think, as its just a fact of life that you won't be a jack of ALL trades. certainly there will be the odd person who simply wants kudos, but i suspect many will be like me, who visit the forum 50% to find their own answers, 25% to help others and 25% to simply read and learn. hence your suggestions and comments will generally be well received if constructive, but ...

...Why do the developers assume that it's some crime to want a better user interface? Why do they not understand that a hard to use program (especially for the sophistication ZenCart claims to have) makes them look BAD to the masses who might otherwise want to use it? Yes, you look bad. You developers come off as if you are unable to recognize the needs of people who are otherwise providing you with goods and services...
    i think you're getting lost in your own frustration here. 99% of developers do what they do because they enjoy the process of creation. they don't secretly devise ways to annoy people, so by all means, ask for help, but pointing fingers is simply counter-productive. i can sympathise with your frustration, as i too have spent hours trawling the forums, however it is what it is. if there was an obviously better solution we wouldn't be here, except of course to participate in mudslinging : )

...If someone was working on that full-time instead of being smarmy in the forums, you could have it completely done within a few weeks...
    i have come across a number of getting started guides and "supplementary" manuals over the last few months (if i could remember more of them i'd obviously include them all here), one of which there was a recent post about:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142499

hopefully this might assist you with your troubles.
    andy

Plugin Contributions

The biggest problem I have had with this site is trying to find out how to get to "includes/languages/ENGLISH/index.php" I don't seem to be able to find a way. is there a file manager anywhere? I have been incredibly frustrated with this.

Plugin Contributions

A File Manager will be part of your host's control panel. Alternatively - and far, far better - familiarise yourself with FTP ...Filezilla is quite a good free FTP application
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

It seems a lot of new Zenners have difficulty figuring out which IDs and classes to change in their CSS stylesheets to make new template designs.

Firebug is a great plugin for Firefox. It is, without a doubt, the most useful tool I've ever come across for building CSS themes for PHP web applications.

You might want to include that in your tutorial, they will thank you for it later!!!

Plugin Contributions

lefthandedgoth, I understand your frustration with ZenCart. It is daunting at first. But what's great about it is that it's a streamlined, bare-bones web application that has only what is necessary, and nothing that isn't.

This enables it to run faster, and still be fully customizeable to your needs. It's open-source, meaning the community can contribute all kinds of features. It's a lot like the iPhone really - "yeah, there's an app for that". And that means that when a client asks me if i can add such-and-such a feature, i can say YES.

But to add these features into the cart, you've got to have some coding or designing knowledge. This means you should hire an experienced programmer if you're looking for the whole enchilada. The end result will be a lean, mean selling machine! Your ecommerce site can have all the amazing features you ever wanted, none of the ones you don't, and still run smoothly.

If you want an easy out-of-the box cart that doesn't require an iota of programming, i would suggest a Yahoo! store. The store will work, but don't expect to get all the bells and whistles. You're really limited within their framework - and there's NO practical way of changing features at all, whether you're a programming guru or not.

ZenCart does have a learning curve, but if you're dedicated and stick to it, there are endless possibilities. But if you plan on only opening one online store (ie you're a merchant, not a programmer), then why learn how to install the software? Pay an experienced professional that will get it done in half the time, and at half the cost to you (depending how valuable your time is).

If you're a programmer, by all means please learn ZenCart - you'll be glad you did. You will be amazed at the possibilities, and your clients will be so happy when they get the perfect ecommerce store that does literally EVERYTHING they ever wanted it to do.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by clydejones View Post
    Bruce,

To get you started, here are two of of the most common questions I've seen.

How do I change the "sales message goes here" text.

How do I change/turn off "Welcome Guest" message.

I also see lots of questions on modifing the tpl_product_info_display.php

Let me know if you would like some help with the project.
    I would like some help with both of these questions. Your post was 2005, and it is now 2010, but I'm new to Zen and I need help. Hope you are still on line.

Floyd

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by floydsch View Post
    I would like some help with both of these questions. Your post was 2005, and it is now 2010, but I'm new to Zen and I need help. Hope you are still on line.

Floyd
    Look in the tutorial/FAQ section search for each of the terms you wish to edit/change

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast