Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Hey, great idea here!

I just wanted to chime in on the CSS problems people are having. Well, first of all I don't think the ZC developers should be obligated to teach anyone CSS. However, if you're struggling to figure out which id/class is assigned to which element, there's one simple way to do this.

1. Open the page you want to customize in your browser. Right click and select View Source.

2. Scroll down until you find the element(s) you want to customize. You'll be able to see the id/class name next to the tag.

3. Open your stylesheet in your favorite text editor (PSPad!) and use Control-F to find the id/class you want to customize. Then start tweaking away.

Also, the Web Developer extension for Firefox can simplify this process tremendously and I highly recommend it.

As for me, my newbie experience with ZC has primarily been a struggle to make sense of the override system and the file organization. There are so many file includes that are spread out all over the system for each individual page or even section that it can be like wandering through a maze. It would be a real godsend to have this mapped out somehow. This seems to be a popular request so I imagine you guys will come up with something:)

I would also like to request a reference for constant definitions - i.e. where to locate the file in which a certain constant is defined. I know english.php has most of them, but the ones that aren't in there are much harder to track down. The Developer Tools is helpful, but it would still be nice to have a concise reference for this info.

Thanks! I appreciate your time and effort, this is an ambitious undertaking!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    Well, first of all I don't think the ZC developers should be obligated to teach anyone CSS.
    Agreed. After my previous comments below I revisited the W3C CSS doc site and some of the stuff remains difficult for me to comprehend. However I put together a short list of basic CSS keyterms that may be helpful to ZC newbies, which Sermonzone may want to include (or not). At least some links to the W3C CSS site could be included.

e.g. how to change color or put an image in your backgrounds (body. sideboxes, etc):
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.ht...und-properties

Then at the same time point to the appropriate rule/declaration in the default Zen Cart stylesheet to make such adjustment.

e.g. .leftBoxHeading, .rightBoxHeading, .centerBoxHeading, .leftBoxContainer, .rightBoxContainer, .sideBoxContent

However, if you're struggling to figure out which id/class is assigned to which element, there's one simple way to do this...

Also, the Web Developer extension for Firefox can simplify this process tremendously and I highly recommend it.
    YES! Brief How-To's to do this in various popular tools would be good. For IE6 users there is the IE6 Developer toolbar released by M$ in March (for W2K/XP/2K3 but not Win9x). Can anyone suggest similar tools available for Safari and Opera users?

There are so many file includes... It would be a real godsend to have this mapped out somehow. This seems to be a popular request so I imagine you guys will come up with something:)
    There was a third party doc available which mapped everything out for a previous 1.2x version. However shen ZC was upgraded the document immediately became dated and not very useful.

I would also like to request a reference for constant definitions - i.e. where to locate the file in which a certain constant is defined. I know english.php has most of them, but the ones that aren't in there are much harder to track down. The Developer Tools is helpful, but it would still be nice to have a concise reference for this info.
    A listing of the core files and base template files containing all the core defines would be a good thing. Suggestions on how to organize such a document/reference? And same issue as above, whenever ZC is upgraded the reference would become immediately dated.

Not at all dissing your recommends. Just a reminder that maintaining documentation is the battle. So whenever generating any documentation that point needs to remain forefront. Yep my middle name is "broken record". ;)

Woody

It's the templating/override system I have most problems with as a new user.

I've had to edit templates for forums, directories, blogs, and a few other peices of software besides, but I've *never* encoutered such a complicated templating system as there is with Zen Cart.

A simplified tutorial explaining which files mean what, and which folders need to be address - even for simple changes - would be very helpful. At present, simple modification of the header and footer seems to require learning brain surgery on the fly.

I agree.. as a first time user ive spent most of my time trying to figure out which file change what!

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Things every New Zenner needs to know

Sermonzone -
    One thing I didn't even think of (though it is probably arleady listed) is perhaps a reiteration or a checklist for installing third party modifications.
    Of course, this may not be considered a Newbie item...
    All the standard verbage about backing up, using overrides, and doing file comparisons should be highlighted.

And at the very end, I recommend suggesting some tests to make sure the cart isn't broken.

I had a brief moment of horror because I saved the testing of the purchasing portion of the cart to nearly the very end...and it didn't work. Luckily it turned out none of my modifications broke it (well, none of the 3rd party mods did it anyhow) - but I was getting ready to debug it in a most tiresome manner - I had installed a fresh build of zen 1.3.0.2 and was getting ready to re-install each of the modules I had installed and then doing a test of the checkout process...

live and learn :) and if you need someone to proofread, my offer is still open
    Live again! http://spritelygoods.com Rebuilt on ZC v 1.5.1 from 1.3.0.2

Plugin Contributions

To All -

Please forgive me for not regularly posting a "Thank You" for your input. Several of us are working on this project and as always we have hit a snag or two.

I am hopeful that we are nearing a time when we can start releasing rough drafts and asking for your help with clarity format, grammar and comprehensiveness.

Thanks to all that have posted. If you have offered assistance I will be contacint you by PM within a week.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sermonzone
    I am hopeful that we are nearing a time when we can start releasing rough drafts and asking for your help with clarity of format, grammar and comprehension.

Thanks to all that have posted. If you have offered assistance, I will be contacting you by PM within a week.
    Could not resist being a but would like to help.

john

Plugin Contributions

LOL! and Blush

I make my living with words. You know, the spoken kind. this qwerty thing must be an invention of the Devil. Somebody install a spell-check in the ZC forum, PLEASE. And a grammar checker, and Strunk & White, and ..........

You are officially on the 'poke Bruce with a sharp stick as your correct his terrible typing' team.

Plugin Contributions

I must confess.....

I use As-U-Type.

Plugin Contributions

Alright. I had to put in my .02. I am new to ZC but not to HTML. However, when I taught myself HTML, it was before CSS even came out. Yes, I'm that old. LOL. Anyway....I wanted to list my 2 biggest things. I know they have been said but, again, you said to repeat as necessary.

1. I think a 'blank' CSS sheet or at least a doc that explains the ZC specific tags or those that most CSS / HTML'ers wouldn't instinctively know, would be nice. It would give at least a 'starting place' for most.

2. The override system is a great thing. I think it needs to be explained a bit better. Also, explain how to use it in relation to adding modules that override each other..and how to get them both to work.

That being said, I'm not adverse to reading and researching and such. But as a ZC newb, it gets frustrating when you post questions and they get ignored on the board without even a 'hmm don't know how to do that' bit or even suggestions on where to look. A basic 'start here' FAQ etc would be welcome - one such as you mention, that is user friendly.

I'm not bagging on ZC either. Honestly, I've found that the community help on this vs osC and other eCommerce stuff has been great. Also, IMHO the CSS issue actually HELPS this be more 'newb' friendly. I like it so far!

Thanks!

-- Anna

Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast