Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default add fee for using paypal payment option

Im wondering if anyone knows a way to have the site charge an extra fee for the customer to use paypal?

Its not that i want to cover the costs, as much as i want to try and deture those that want to use paypal into using there cc with my merchant.

I know this sounds odd, but its the only way i can figgure to pay for the insurance costs due to paypal fraudulant orders.
    (we just had an experiance with that.) 30% of my total revenue comes from paypal, so i dont want to NOT allow them to use it, but i want to try and discurage it, so i figgure a fee for using it would be right in order.....so to speak

maybe there is contrib around for it? i dont know. any help would be great.
    THanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: add fee for using paypal payment option

It is against the PayPal TOS to charge extra ... as it is with most any other Payment method ...

You can, however, offer a Discount for Payment Transactions ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Charging a fee is bad form. If you have a merchant account, then can't you just turn off the paypal and not use it? I was under the impression that the general public is more comfortable with straight merch accounts/entering CC info at the purchase site than using paypal anyways.

I realize that 30% of your customers use paypal, but what percentage would still use your merch if they had to? I'd imagine they would..they may be just using paypal cause its 'easier'.

The other option would be to create a new basic/personal account and refuse to accept CC's through it.

But hey...I can't wait till I get away from PP!

Further to the above notes the rules are actually set out by MC and VISA international (Amex too if you choose). It's a breach of their card acceptance rules to surcharge when a customer opts to use credit. The rational is that additional fees to customers will will discourage them from paying with credit cards...and that doesn't work well for the associations

Ajeh is right though, you can offer discounts for other payment methods (like wiretransfer and cheques), it's like a loophole in the association rules but it really only works in face to face environments as most people choose to pay with credit on-line.
    Stteacher
    http://www.############teacher.com
    ~ Where an "F" is good.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wickedklown View Post
    Im wondering if anyone knows a way to have the site charge an extra fee for the customer to use paypal?

Its not that i want to cover the costs, as much as i want to try and deture those that want to use paypal into using there cc with my merchant.

I know this sounds odd, but its the only way i can figgure to pay for the insurance costs due to paypal fraudulant orders.
    (we just had an experiance with that.) 30% of my total revenue comes from paypal, so i dont want to NOT allow them to use it, but i want to try and discurage it, so i figgure a fee for using it would be right in order.....so to speak

maybe there is contrib around for it? i dont know. any help would be great.
    THanks
    I have the module which i have developed myself. http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=785

Plugin Contributions

As Ajeh said, it's a violation of PayPal's TOS and you'll lose your PayPal account if you do it because someone will likely report you to them.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Look its as simple as this,
    If you cant afford to pay the fees for cc or paypal transactions STOP taking them,
    or change products that have a higher margin,
    pp and cc fees and discount fees are part of doing business. This is for the privilege
    of being able to take imdeiate payment,
    this increases the number of purchases ( Impulse buyers )
    you dont have to wait for the customer to write the check and drop it in the mail ( if they ever do ) dont have to wait for the USPS to get it to you ( If they dont lose it ) then you have to wait for it to clear ( hope it Doesn't bounce )

See the other side of this coin,
    and yes if paypal catches you, they can and usually do freeze your account, if your lucky they will give it back, ( theeu can hold your funds for up to 180 days without explination )

Is it really worth it,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

You could also increase your prices slightly. I know that might sound counterproductive, but if you can add a small amount into each product, it should make up the difference for you.

In other words, an extra few cents per item will discourage less buyers than an extra few dollars if they want to use PayPal or any other gateway which allows them to pay by credit card.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I don't understand why charging extra fee for PayPal would be considered as illegal. PayPal itself charges fees for transfers. Here is the examples in EUR taken from the official PayPal site:

€0.00 EUR - €2,500.00 EUR = 3.4% + €0.35 EUR
    €2,500.01 EUR - €10,000.00 EUR = 2.9% + €0.35 EUR
    €10,000.01 EUR - €50,000.00 EUR = 2.7% + €0.35 EUR
    €50,000.01 EUR - €100,000.00 EUR = 2.4% + €0.35 EUR
    > €100,000.00 EUR = 1.9% + €0.35 EUR

Therefore I really wonder why it is not possible to add fee in the Zet Cart admin page.

Anyway, here is the calculator for the Fees that PayPal takes.
    http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm

Plugin Contributions

It isn't illegal, it's a violation of the agreement you signed onto with Paypal. From their User Agreement:

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Pretty plain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast