Plugin Contributions

Default Integrating WorldPay merchant account

I am sure that many users based in the UK would like to use Worldpay rather than PayPal. The reason for that statement is because Worldpay recognise that they are just a payment gateway and not a pompus moralistic gardian of the internet like paypal seem to think.

I want to develop a very large store that in time may include an adult section. I dont want to have to change things down the line should PayPal decide that they dont like my content and cancel my account. I have looked at the Pay Pal code in the admin area which does not seem to be too frightening.

Would I need a similar bit of code from Worldpay and if that is so, could I just go into the document and chage it over to the Worldpays code without mucking up anything?

Heres looking forward to your help and advice.
    Kind regards
    Stephan Toth

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Integrating WorldPay merchant account

Quote Originally Posted by StephanToth View Post
    I am sure that many users based in the UK would like to use Worldpay rather than PayPal. The reason for that statement is because Worldpay recognise that they are just a payment gateway and not a pompus moralistic gardian of the internet like paypal seem to think.
    We're wondering exactly the opposite - why would we want to pay Worlpay's outrageous and exhorbitant fees when Paypal seems to accept all the cards that Worldpay does, and charge less comission too.

Plugin Contributions

There's a Worldpay module available in the downloads section.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Stephan,

Apologies for no one having responded to your post sooner, hopefully you found the WorldPay module before now.

Kelvyn,

I've responded to your post back on the WorldPay thread.

Afo,

Just beat me to it!

Alan

Plugin Contributions

I too have questioned myself over WorldPay's charges. The reasons why I went for them in the first place, which are probably the same as many other peoples are:

-Well known and respected company
    -I did not have a separate merchant account for off-line sales and they offer a one stop shop for everything
    -ease of integration into my original non-zen shopping cart.
    -Reasonable start up costs and good support.

Now I am more experienced and my card sales are growing I am looking for other alternatives and would appreciate other peoples views on other card service providers and how they compare to WorldPay and how easy it is to integrate into ZenCart.

Craig

Plugin Contributions

For alternate option you may check with few more processor like chronopay, protx, barclay etc, I hope they can easily integrate with zencart.

Plugin Contributions

I've looked at this and used the electronic payments tool too to compare.

I've decided to give Protx a go. I can see they are owned by Sage, a well known and respected company in the UK.

There's a couple of Zen modules and it looks as if it integrates well.

I'm also applying for a merchant account with our bankers HSBC.

Should work out much cheaper in the long run.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Craig

Plugin Contributions

CES
    I'm just going through this thought process now. HSBC is telling me that if I go with Protx (or Nochex etc) I will have to pay Protx their fee, AND pay HSBC a fee for Protx putting the proceeds into the merchant account. Is that your understanding?

They claim that if I use their e-payment system I only pay one set of fees.
    Edwin

Plugin Contributions

Hi Edwin,

Quote Originally Posted by edwinlloyd View Post
    I'm just going through this thought process now. HSBC is telling me that if I go with Protx (or Nochex etc) I will have to pay Protx their fee, AND pay HSBC a fee for Protx putting the proceeds into the merchant account. Is that your understanding?
    Protx is a payment gateway. Their services must be used in conjunction with a Merchant Account. So you have to pay the merchant account fees and then the payment gateway's fees as well.

This is a fairly standard arrangement and for a decent-sized shop represent the most cost effective and professional method to take card payments.

Your merchant account will charge a set monthly rate plus a percentage for each Credit Card transaction and a set amount for each Debit Card transaction.

Protx will charge a monthly rate for quite a large number of transactions and only above this amount will you have to pay additional transaction fees (you're doing *very* well if you reach that stage! :) ).

We have found (the hard way) that if you haggle, you can get a much better rate and smaller monthly "minimum charge" from your merchant account provider so don't be afraid to bully them somewhat, saying you have been offered "£10 a month minimum charge" elsewhere... I wish we had done that as we could be spending much less monthly but are committed for a year now to £25 a month of minimum charges (which we can't hope to cover with transaction charges at the minute ).

Protx's fees are set but reasonable so I'm afraid haggling won't work with them! :)

I hope that information is useful to you.

If you do decide to go with Protx in the end please consider using the following link to sign up with them as you will then get a discount off our Protx module for Zen Cart (which lets you integrate your shop perfectly with Protx so customers are kept on your site when they checkout, just like amazon/dabs etc.)...

(We get a small commission for you signing up so are happy to pass the savings on to you! :) ).

I'm not sure that there is a working HSBC integration module at the minute but Protx's systems integrate with HSBC merchant accounts and we have several people using our module with HSBC merchant accounts very successfully indeed!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Edwin

Conor has replied quite comprehensively to you and I hope that has helped.

Initially I used WorldPay as an all in payment gateway, and they are very good. However they are quite expensive too, taking at least 4.5%.

When looking for alternatives I realised that Protx offered by far the cheapest way of taking card payments online but you needed a separate merchant account. We approached our normal bank (HSBC) and got one from there.

I cannot recall the charges that the all in one HSBC epayments charged but I know it was cheaper to use the twin solution.

I cannot recommend Conor and his ceon module enough though. Excellent support and hand holding (as you can see). :)

Craig

(sorry for the delay replying - was off on my hols last week)