Plugin Contributions

Default Help finding my stylesheet.css files please

Good Evening,

I am slowly but surely learning how to use zencart, but one thing I find odd, is that when I look at threads about changing font colours I have found the following info

Start by opening the style sheet in your favorite text editor: /includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css
    etc, etc, etc

But I cant seem to find mine, please go easy on me as I am a complete newbie at getting a website online.

I opened Notepad, and then went to file/open and found the files in shop/includes/templates/ then I have 2 options - template_default/css and classic/css, I have looked in both, but there is nothing in them I am at a loss, because they must be somewhere.

Thanks in advance
    Nikki
    Last edited by angelicdezigns; 27 Jun 2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: forgot something

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help finding my stylesheet.css files please

In the "classic" css folder you should have 3 stylesheets:

stylesheet_new.css, stylesheet_original.css and print_stylesheet.css

In the "Template_default" css folder you should have these:

stylesheet.css, stylesheet_css_buttons.css and print_stylesheet.css

Plugin Contributions

Hiya Clyde,

Well something very strange is going on then, as I cant find any of those
    Even when I look in windows explorer.

I did mail my host with a couple of questions last week (not this specific one, as I have only just come accross it ), but havent heard anything back yet.

Oooo errr, I am not sure what to do now, will mail them as they set the basic shop up for me, but worried in case they dont answer me for a while.

Thanks very much for the advice,

Kind Regards
    Nikki
    Last edited by angelicdezigns; 27 Jun 2006 at 08:59 PM. Reason: OOpps forgot something again

Plugin Contributions

If you are looking for these files on your PC you will most probably not find them as they currrently exist on your hosting server.

You need to get a FTP application and configure it to be able to connect to your host so that you can transfer the files from your host to your PC to be able to edit them and then transfer them back to your host after they have been edited so that your changes will become effective.

You really need to check here and in the wiki also here for assistance in creating an individual template and understanding the overrides system that you should begin using to assist you in keeping track of the files that you change and for other reasons.

You can Google for FTP or find 'smartFTP' or 'AceFTP' and download and install it. You might find an actual code editor helpful as one will color code your entries and you can also tell if you have not correctly entered something correctly. crimson is a free editor that you can find and download.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thnaks alot for that Kobra,

I designed my main website in frontpage, before realising how much I could do with a shop, so I will just have a link to my shop on my main site.

My host set up the basic shopping cart with my logo, and the rest is down to me to customise, but as a total beginner, some of the terminology has me lost.

I have gone to frontpage and gone to my remote site, and I have found the 3 .css files that I needed, thanks for helping me find them.

Could you help me clarify something please, when you said You need to get a FTP application and configure it to be able to connect to your host so that you can transfer the files from your host to your PC to be able to edit them and then transfer them back to your host after they have been edited so that your changes will become effective, does that mean, I have to click on remote to local and send the files into my local website? the reaon I ask is because I tried to syncronize my folders last week, and I got an error message which I emailed to my host, and his reply was "Regarding the message you saw on FrontPage. This is because your trying to copy the shop from your computer back to the server. You must make sure that you don’t copy the shop from your computer to the server as it may result in the shop malfunctioning."

I didnt really understand what this meant, does it mean that I can or cant copy the .css files over to from remote server to my local site, I did email and ask them a few days ago, but have not had a reply as yet.

Are the code editors you mentioned easy to use, and have instructions, as learning this from scratch is a tad overwhelming, so if the code editors are hard to work out, I think I may have total information overload ..lol..

Sorry if these sound like silly questions, but it is all a bit confusing. I know I will get the hang of it soon, with your kind peoples help.

Thanks for the advice,
    Nikki
    Last edited by angelicdezigns; 27 Jun 2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something AGAIN

Plugin Contributions

Just an extra silly question please.

If I wanted to edit the .css files, do I open them in my Remote server bit of frontpage and edit them?

Nikki

Plugin Contributions

One could think of a hundred ways to edit files for ZenCart but FrontPage is NOT one of them.

Find yourself a good FTP program and get TopStyle Lite. FrontPage will kill you before it cures you.

Plugin Contributions

Ha Ha, thanks for that bit of advice dbltoe, as I am a total newbie I didnt realise that, but I promise I WONT edit anything through frontpage.

I will try CUTE ftp, and hopefully there will be user instructions with it.

Thanks again
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

CUTEFTP is one of the better free apps. As far as an editor, notepad will suffice but is rather plain(no color coding, or code assistance) Notepad++, crimson are both much better and have help for the color coding. It is just a text editor with xtras for code, not much to learn.

Just a convention of mine, I always rename the file on the host before uploading an edited file.

i.e. stylysheet.css to old_stylesheet.css and then upload the edited file. If there is a problem wih your edit you can then revert back to the original file. Just FYI
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten