Plugin Contributions

Default Different upgrade scenerio - re: database

Hey everyone,

ok - here is my problem:

i have a current 1.2+ cart set up and functioning. i did a fresh install of 1.3, created a new database for 1.3 copied & updated the 1.2 database, and my new 1.3 "test store" has the updated 1.2 database. Everyting went smooth.

Now, it's been a few weeks since i created my 1.3 "test store" and since then my 1.2 store has gotten new customers. i want to update my 1.3 database with just the customer info contained in the 1.2 database. however, i'm afraid of screwing up my 1.3 database.

how do i update the most current 1.2 database so the customer info transfers to the 1.3 database correctly? i don't want to overwrite the whole database, just the customer info. do i create yet another folder with another copy of zc_install to update the most current 1.2 database? then export, then import to my 1.3 "test store" database?

thanks for any help,
    s.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Different upgrade scenerio - re: database

Did you make any significant changes to the database that would prevent you from setting the Live Site Down for Maintenance ... empty the temp database ... reload a fresh backup ... run the /zc_install ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

i've made changes to the database in the "temp store" so i don't want to reload the whole thing...can i just export the customer info from the 1.2 database and import it to the 1.3 database, and then run update from zen_install?

i'm afraid that running update again will screw everything up in my "temp store" database.

maybe i'm thinking too much......

Plugin Contributions

There are a lot of things that can be incorrect in trying to peice and part the database together if you are not really familar with databases and manipulating the data ...

You can backup the current New Site database ...

Drop the tables ...

Load a backup of the Live Site database ...

Run the /zc_install Upgrade Database ...

Test does it work ...

If you cannot figure out what to do to make it work then you can consider the hard part of peicing and parting the database together ...

There are customer tables, address book, orders, etc. etc. that have changed ...

Not sure if you want to attempt a partial build ... the Zen Cart installer is designed for a full Upgrade of the database ... it is not designed for peices and parts ...

While there are a lot of safeties in the Upgrader ... if you do not know why or what error messages mean you can really break a lot ...

Usually, the table that is of concern on an Upgrade that really differs is the configuration table ...

This could be backed up and compared to the current table in your new site so that after the Upgrade you can check if you made all of the changes ...

As always, Backups of both the web site and the database are always recommended before attempting any upgrade ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

thanks! i knew there were some "unknowns" with how that would all work out, now i know how to navigate a bit better. thanks for the help, truly.