Plugin Contributions

Default CHMOD - Change Includes folder or Configure.php?

Hi All,

I have a new basic install of Zen Cart. I need to change the CHMOD settings for the configure.php file to 644 or 444. In a search of the forum someone reported that you needed to open the Includes folder and change the setting. My question is do I need to change the CHMOD setting for the Includes folder or a folder or file within this folder? If it is the entire folder then I just right click on it and change the properties from within my FTP client.

Also, are there other folders that permissions need to be changed for?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CHMOD - Change Includes folder or Configure.php?

They should have only been referring to the configure.php file itself, not the folder.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

Using my FTP client I was able to change the permissions on the configure.php file to 444. When I checked the store the error message went away. I do have a problem still though. Earlier, I had copied the store from the server to my local drive. I assumed I needed to make the changes locally and publish my changes to the server. This is how I publish my HTML pages for other portions of my website. Because I had made the permission changes to the server store I needed to copy the server version to my local drive again. When I did this the settings changed from 444 to 644 and the error message returned.

I tried setting the permissions on my local version but when I right click on the file the settings are vastly different.

Should I NOT have a local copy of my store? Should I only make changes on the server version?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you have a local copy, you can upload/download changes from one to the other all you want EXCEPT you cannot move the configure.php files between servers, because they are server-specific.

You may also find this article helpful...
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/LocalCopySite

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hello and thank you.

What I had done was to simply publish the Store folder from the server to my local drive. I am using FrontPage to update my website so basically the Store folder now exists within the local web and on the server. Can you clarify if I even need to have this local version in order to update the files? I don't want to have a local copy of the databases and such - just need a way to update the php files as I work to customize my template. What is the normal way to work with the php files?

I always publish my website from Local to Remote. If the PHP files are server specific then it sounds like I cannot have a copy on my local drive to update. I'm okay with this as long as I know how to make changes to the server version of the files.

Should I open the PHP files in my FTP Client? From FrontPage?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

This is what I've done and so far it seems to work. I apoligize if this is old stuff for some of you. I ended up moving the local copy of the store to a different part of my local drive outside of my website. I made the changes to the permissions on the server version in my FTP client by right-clicking. Setting the permission to 444 for the configure.php files (there are 2) did get rid of the error message, 644 did not. I found I can edit the local version from the location I saved it to by double-clicking on the file. This opened the PHP file in Notebook in a new window. I can edit here and hit save which will save the revised PHP file. Hitting "Save as" only brought up a TXT option. I can upload the revised file using my FTP client. I can still publish my website via FrontPage (the only thing I really use it for.)

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Frontpage is fine for ASP files and microsoft crap that uses frontpage extensions etc.

But Frontpage has a proven POOR track record when working with PHP files and is notorious for adding junk in HTML code and other files.

You're better off using a dedicated PHP editor for file editing
    and a dedicated FTP program (such as FileZilla) for "publishing" (ie: uploading all the files to your site).

You'll find a few popular suggestions for PHP editors here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39021

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

I agree about Frontpage. I only use it to publish my website. I use it to edit also but I hand code everything in the Code Window. I am using Notepad to edit the PHP files. I will check out some of your other recommendations too. Thanks.