Plugin Contributions

Please help me understand the override system.

Good Afternoon, when I edit text in my define pages editor there is a warning that says

"Note: you should always edit the files located in your current template override directory, Example: /languages/english/html_includes/
    Be sure to make backups after changing your files.

Editing file:
    /home/sites/angelic-dezigns.co.uk/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/
    html_includes/classic/define_contact_us.php"

I have looked at the forums, and followed a link to WIKI, but I havent got a clue what any of it means.

I dont even know where to start to over ride files. I feel so silly, because everyone else obviously understands how it works, and I just cannot get my head around it at all.

Would some kind soul be able to explain it in laymans terms for this newbie please, or if anyone has found a link that I havent to an easy explanation, I would appreciate that. I feel like I am going mad

Thanks in advance.
    Kind Regards
    Nikki
    Last edited by angelicdezigns; 1 Jul 2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Please help me understand the override system.

Look in the following folder(s):
    includes -> languages -> english -> html_includes -> classic

the portion in red is the override folder.

You can/should copy any of the files you edit in the html_includes folder to the override folder

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much clydejones, I am going to ask another really silly question now, how do I copy the files into there?

I am so sorry to ask such silly questions, but I am new to all this, and as much as I hate asking stupid questions if I dont, I wont get much done.

Thanks for your patience

Nikki

Plugin Contributions

Do you have a copy of your Zen Cart files on your PC?

If you do, just copy the files from html_includes and then paste them into html_includes -> classic.

Now upload those files to your server.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Clyde

I will make myself look more stupid now, and sorry for the long post ..lol..

This may or may not be relevant to you, but as I am new to this I dont know how much info you need to know, so apologies if I am talking waffle. I originally designed a website in frontpage , not realising how brilliantly a 'shop' worked, and will now only use that for information.

My host set up the basic shop for me, but when I open frontpage and click on 'remote web site' so I can see folders in local and remote (I might have got this completley wrong by the way as I am totally self taught) when I click on shop/includes/languages/english etc in my remote web site, all the relevant folders are there, but when I click on the shop/includes/languages/english etc in my local web site, it is empty.. is that right?

I tried to synchronise my folders a couple of weeks ago,(thinking that what was on remote should be in local) and got an error message which I sent to my host, and the repy form them was "Regarding the message you saw on FrontPage. This is because your trying to copy the shop from your computer back to the server. You must make sure that you don’t copy the shop from your computer to the server as it may result in the shop malfunctioning."

I am even more confused now. I havent heard back from them as yet.

Also, I think it doesnt help that I havent got a clue how frontpage and zencart work together, even though, I will just have a link to my shop from my original site. (I know that a lot of people do not like frontpage, but it was the only thing I had to use at the time) I have since purchased dreamweaver, but it seems so confusting after using frontpage.

I downloaded cuteftp, as I thought this would help, but cant work that out either.

If this all seems like madness to you..lol.. I sincerely apolologise, but I am self taught in all of this, and trying to learn so many things at once, so what seems like common sense to people that are experienced in this, is completly confusing to little old me

Thanks again, I just hope you dont get fed up with me
    Regards
    Nikki

Plugin Contributions

Nikki,

Because template sites are so common on the Internet, many new users share your misunderstanding. You, and others, are looking for ONE file to open and see the shop. Zen Cart does not work that way. Zen Cart dynamically BUILDS every page out of dozens of pieces. So, you have to edit the relevant pieces.

I suggest you go to the Wiki and read, then reread, the section on template overrides and then the section on building a custom template. Your understanding of how things work in Zen Cart will grow tremendously.

Good luck

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...verride_system
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...lates_-_Create

Plugin Contributions

Bless you bruce, thanks for that, I will re read it again later on, and hopefully it will sink in haha.

Have a good weekend
    Nikki

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

(And you'll thank yourself for retiring FrontPage in favor of another text editor plus FTP program ... suggestions here: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39021 )

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the advice DrByte I really appreciate it.

I do actually have dreamweaver, but I found it really hard to work out, so ended up using Frontpage, as I was starting from scratch with no web site building experience at all, and no help.

Could I just ask something please. I know I can transfer my site from frontpage into dreamweaver, but would it muck up things with my hosting company? It may be a silly question, but because I do not have any background knowlede in web design I dont know whether if I load everything into dreamweaver it will mess up everything I have done, will mess up things with the host or whether it automatically uploads everything smoothly.

Thanks again
    Kindest Regards
    Nikki

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

As far as Zen Cart files are concerned, you can just set up your site in DW and go.
    If you have edited HTML files using FP, you may have some "junk" in them to clean up later at your convenience.

You will likely have numerous _vti_cnf and similar folders on your PC and hosting account ... these can all be deleted (since you said you had only just started, and therefore likely aren't using any advanced FP features that use those files).

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.