Plugin Contributions

Default Pre-Install Concerns

Host Details:
    Windows server
    PHP MyAdmin version 2.6.3-pl1
    PHP version 4.3.2
    MySQL version 4.1.15_ _ _ _ _ _ _(2 x databases, tables not yet defined)
    Domain CP Username & Password
    MySQL Database Username & Password

1. My clients site already has existing Product Info pages and Download pages from when they had their site on another host using that hosts e-cart. Is it possible to set- up Zen Cart to link to these pages or would I have to set up Zen Cart from scratch ?

2. In Step 4 of the install doc it states that you need the following permissions set for MySQL user: Select, Insert, Update, Delete, Create, Alter, Index & Drop.
    Is this referring to the actual Database permissions or just the tables ?

3. I am a little bit confused over the details mentioned in the section "Before Running the Installer".
    Is the Secure Server URL (HTTPS) the same as DNS server URL or is that something totally different ?

The stages I have completed are:

1. Downloaded Zen Cart full fileset v1.3.0.2.
    2. Unzipped ZC to folder on desktop (retaining the folder and files structure).
    3. Saved complete Backup of Live Site to disk.
    4. Uploaded ZC to folder in htdocs on host server.
    5. Renamed both \dist-configure.php files to configure.php
    6. Set all permissions to read/write/execute

I have logged on to the Zen Cart folder and gone to the Pre-Flight check the only things that have shown up are (cautions only):

In "System Inspection Results"

! MySQL Version = Unknown_ _ _ _ _ _ _Click here for more info
    ! PHP cURL Support = OFF_ _ _ _ _ _ _Click here for more info

In "Other System Information (For Reference Only)"

! PHP Session.Save_Path = \\cp4sharedstore2\phpsessions$ -->Unwriteable_ _ _ _ _ _ _Click here for more info

All else appears to be OK. (Full Report Avail if req)

Would appreciate any help

Best Regards

Keith

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pre-Install Concerns

The MySQL msg is ok on preflight as it does not know where the DB is yet.

The other 2 are trouble and not ones that you can correct directly. Contact your host and determine if they can enable curl and the php sessions to writeable. I am fairly positive that these are needed or at least so that you do not have glitches later on.

If you are not very invested in the win platform at this time you might see if you can be moved to a Linux/Apache server, I know that this platform is smoother for zencart.

About your pages, Zencart does not use preformed pages but instread dynamically assembles pages via the php calls. So these pages are of no use.

And lastly, yes they are refering to DB information

DB name
    DB username
    DB user pass
    DB path (localhost is sufficient for most servers)
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=kobra]The other 2 are trouble and not ones that you can correct directly. Contact your host and determine if they can enable curl and the php sessions to writeable. I am fairly positive that these are needed or at least so that you do not have glitches later on.

If you are not very invested in the win platform at this time you might see if you can be moved to a Linux/Apache server, I know that this platform is smoother for zencart.

About your pages, Zencart does not use preformed pages but instread dynamically assembles pages via the php calls. So these pages are of no use.
    QUOTE]

Thanks kobra

Sorry not answered, but had a HDD failure. The site is not mine and the client does not wish to move to Linux Server.

With regard to the PHP sessions his Hosting service said:

"The session path is writeable however the way PHP checks for this is incompatible with our system. You will be able to use sessions with no problem, however you will want to disable the writecheck of this".

Did not get answer for PHP cURL from them yet, but as for Database there is no prob as the required permissions do apply.

The site owner is not pleased with your answer to the question about the pages though, as he is happy with the design and layout of the pages in question. I am also a bit confused as in DrBytes article, under Categories/Products:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36131

there is mention of linking to more info on a sites html page.

Since I have uploaded ZC and run the preflight I have found a new folder called "aspnet_client" with sub-folders have appeared in the public access folder, is this a part of the zen cart preflight as I could see no mention of it anywhere in the ZC fileset or install docs ? Or do I need to check with the Host if it's anything they've added ?

Best Regards

Keith

Plugin Contributions

The site owner is not pleased with your answer to the question about the pages though, as he is happy with the design and layout of the pages in question.
    and
    1. My clients site already has existing Product Info pages and Download pages from when they had their site on another host using that hosts e-cart. Is it possible to set- up Zen Cart to link to these pages or would I have to set up Zen Cart from scratch ?
    the Products URL is an external link where the customer can go to see more information about this product. If it's a link to an HTMl page on your site, enter the full URL to that page.
    If you are referring to the quote above from DrBytes FAQ, then yes one can link to INFO pages. What I am attempting to convey is as you have "Product Info Pages", not general info pages, created from another application, how do you intend on linking this information into ZenCarts DB, inventory, add to cart, etc and etc. These pages, while one maybe pleased with the pages, are not contained within any functional items in ZenCart. They are not part of the inventory system, the pricing, and so forth. How would one purchase these items when ZenCart has absolutely no information on them as they have not been entered in to the catalog?

As for the Download pages...depending on what they are these could be included. If they are to be purchased prior to downloading then they would have to be setup as a downloadable product in ZenCart and the file could be entered into the download directory for downloadng.

This is akin to having a Sears catalog and wanting to be able to get these items in the JCPenneys catalog. There are just some things that are not prudent.

As far as the site owner being pleased...you are the one that informed him...and all of us here are volunteer posters from the community. You or the site owner has selected the very best Cart available and at no up front cost, why would one not want to utilize all the functionality that it affords. See this link on features:ZenCart Features
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi kobra

Apologies,

MY bad I should of mentioned in my first post that the download pages I mentioned referred to downloadable products which are secured PDF's and info pages for these products, or maybe waited till I had the other stuff sorted.

Trying to search through the archive stuff has kinda given me a head heamorrage. especially as some of the links are not yet fully restored.

And yes I did advise my client to go with ZC from the info given in the features list and the reply to an earlier thread posted by me from DrByte. Though I had nothing to do with the sites design or layout, he only approached me after he had changed Hosts and moved his site minus the cart functions.

BTW I am a PC Technician not a web designer so some of this stuff is still alien to me.

Thanks for the assistance

Best Regards

Keith

P.S. In my previous reply I asked about a new folder "aspnet_client" appearing in the public access folder, is this related to ZC or do I need to check with the host ?

Plugin Contributions

Keith,

Not a problem, clients can be testy at times...but it is in your interest to guide them to the most pruden conclusion.

ZenCart has so many slick functions and modules to add additional ones that it would be a shame not to attempt to use them. The list is so long that I really can not do it justice, Just leave it at the most things an online shop owner could want are probably included in ZenCart.

I have not a clue what your client had or wants as a skin/look for this new cart but most all designs are acheivable at least at a 90-95% match.

As you have posted that some items are downloadable PDF files, these really need to be setup as products inside of ZenCart to be capable of controlling the purchase, payment and subsequent download.
    In my previous reply I asked about a new folder "aspnet_client" appearing in the public access folder, is this related to ZC or do I need to check with the host ?
    I am fairly sure that this is a host folder and that asp is used for a win server...Zencart will run on win but prefers a linux/bsd server.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Big Thanks kobra

I believe his reluctance to go to Linux is due to fact he previously had site on linux server and something got screwed up big time, but he didn't go into detail as to what.

I also think his only concern with the pages he already has and the Zen-Cart issue is maintaining the continuity of the sites look which I believe will just be a template or css thing, that can be sorted out later.

As I have saved a back-up of all the folders from the site pre ZC upload, all I really want to do at the moment is install ZC with a test database (his host provides 2 Mysql databases) and play around to see what can be done and what needs doing. I had found a thread giving details of test cart prior to my HDD failure will have to try and find it again

I have looked at a sample site you mentioned in a reply for another thread but couldn't tell if this site was designed around Zen Cart or if Zen Cart had been integrated into the existing site. (Site was to do with Tea & Tea Accessories).

In regard to the ASPNET folder I will email the host and check why that has suddenly appeared.

Best Regards

Keith
    Last edited by kallel; 6 Jul 2006 at 08:50 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I have looked at a sample site you mentioned in a reply for another thread but couldn't tell if this site was designed around Zen Cart
    This is a ZenCart site Only.
    I had found a thread giving details of test cart
    If this is what I think, you just have to load the "Demo" DB to test it out.
    I also think his only concern with the pages he already has and the Zen-Cart issue is maintaining the continuity of the sites look which I believe will just be a template or css thing, that can be sorted out later.
    Do you know what the previous cart was?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

If this is what I think, you just have to load the "Demo" DB to test it out.
    Think the thread gave few more details on using the included test cart samples, will try to do a deeper search later on.

Do you know what the previous cart was?
    Sorry, I don't have any details about his previous cart or host. There were a lot of broken/missing links when I first looked at the site, that I think related to the checkout process.

Best Regards

Keith