Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading from 1.2.6 to 1.3 Need help!

I tried doing the upgrade and it didn't work so I went through the forums and found that you can't use just the changed files (bleh!).

My database is backed up but I am a total loss now of where to start. I did a fresh install of the complete set of files in another directory on my server but what do I do now? How do I get the new install to recognize my database?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading from 1.2.6 to 1.3 Need help!

I'll tell you how I handle upgrades and I have never had a problem with upgrades doing it my way - I've been upgrading since version 1.2.3 so I believe I must be doing something right.

First, I download a backup of my database.

Then I run a CLEAN install of the newest version. on a NEW database.

Then I go to PHP MyAdmin and I drop all the tables on my new database, and import the database that I had originally saved.

Then I go back to the installer and run the database upgrades to take my database up to the next level(s).

Once this is done I go thru to be sure that all my product / customer info is indeed correct.

Then I re-add my mods / templates / customizations.

It's worked like a charm for me on 20+ sites.

Hope that helps :)
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

Just a note for those reading this post in the future.

If you are upgrading from 1.2.x to 1.3.0.2, you DO have to use the full fileset or you will miss the many changes done in 1.3 and 1.3.0.1.

HOWEVER, this DOES NOT mean that you have to blow away everything in your old version.

I'll use old to represent your existing files and new to represent the new full fileset.

1. First, BACK UP EVERYTHING
    2. Second, download the old files and new fileset to directories on your computer. This makes it easier to make changes. Make sure you get all the files.
    3. Third, (what I do) compare the old with the new using WinMerge.
      1. Move the new zc_install directory and any new-unique directories/files to the old directory.
      2. Check to see if you really need any old-unique files and delete those you don't need.
      3. Most files that are different will not involve any customization that you did to the old site BUT, check each one before overwriting the old with the new. WinMerge will allow you to change line by line thereby saving your prior customizing.
    4. Upload your changed files to a TEST directory or, if not available, the old directory on your server.
    5. Make sure your configure.php files are correct for the test or old site.
    6. IMPORTANT! Verify that the files are overwritten on the server. There are many horror stories about FTP transfers that DID NOT.
    7. Once this is complete, use your browser to go to testsite/zc_install or oldsite/zc_install.
      1. Since you have already set the files into test/ or old/, zc_install will give you the option to "Upgrade Database"
      2. Click on Upgrade Database and let the system bring your database up to the version you downloaded.
    8. IF you uploaded to test you will need to move the files to your old directory and, once again, ensure that the configure.php files are correct.

Personally, I always use the full fileset to make sure I haven't accidentally changed something in a previous "core file". Several times I've cured a strange problem this way.

Yes, this method involves some time and getting used to WinMerge (or a similar program of your choice) BUT, please take the time. It will save you hours later. I used to have a sign over my desk that said, "Company Policy: NEVER enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it over!"

You'll never go wrong spending time to train or time to build the proper foundation.

Plugin Contributions

Everything worked with Tina's directions. Thank you so much! My template looks pretty crappy now but that's ok, I was tired of the other one anyway. I will redo it. That's easier to redo then enter all the settings and product again.

Again, thanks guys!

I owe you both a beer or drink of your choice :)