Plugin Contributions

Shared SSL Question

Hi, I am setting up Zen Cart with a shared ssl certificate. I'd like the store to be at www.mysite.com/store but the ssl directory I was given is https://mysite.secure.omnis.com. I'm confused... in which directory do I install Zen Cart? If I install in the later, I am unable to access my store from my domain...

Thanks for the advice!
    Scott

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shared SSL Question

Scott, there are a couple things I think may help clarify:

I'd like the store to be at www.mysite.com/store
    This is where you will access your site.

the ssl directory I was given is https://mysite.secure.omnis.com.
    The ssl URL is what they gave you... it's not necessarily a directory; hopefully it's
    just a URL

I'm confused... in which directory do I install Zen Cart? If I install in the later, I am unable to access my store from my domain...
    Chances are, the right URL to access your store will be:
    http://www.squid.com/store
    and
    https://squid.secure.omnis.com/store

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, thanks for your rapid reply. Unfortunately, my ssl address does seem to be a directory. Here is what my host's site says:

To use Shared SSL you will need to upload the files that you want to be secured into the ssl directory referenced above. This includes any scripting files such as perl or php, image files can be either included here or directly referenced from your main site but relative links will not work when doing so. The ssl directory will need its own index page if you wish it to be browsable, alternately you can leave this off and a permission denied page will be displayed.
    Is this a problem? Their help pages are not very good.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by squidliberty
    DrByte, thanks for your rapid reply. Unfortunately, my ssl address does seem to be a directory.

Is this a problem? Their help pages are not very good.

Thanks again!
    Yes, that'll be a problem.

You "can" do it, but then you'll end up having to maintain TWO sets of all your files and images.

If you're in a long contract with your host, then you could ask if they'd be willing to create a "symlink" for you to be able to access your regular pages as if they were secure pages. Tell them you're not serving "pages"... instead, you're serving "content" dynamically via PHP scripts and database-stored information. They'll likely make you upgrade your plan or stick with what you've got. You may find it smarter to switch hosting to something that's amenable to e-Commerce activity, rather than something designed for simple static 5-page websites.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for all of the advice. Luckily, I just need to use PayPal for this site (so I guess I can skip the SSL) - however, I'm about to setup a site with Authorize.net processing where it will be important. Any suggestion on a good hosting service? I really like Omnis, but I'm willing to start using something else (especially if it is in the same price range $80-100 a year).

I really appreciate your help!

Thank,
    Scott

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

How about one of our Certified Hosts:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...es&pages_id=10

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! I will definitely check out those hosts.