Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Group Discount - How to NOT apply other discounts?

I have a store running a sale of 10% off of all books. Teachers and Librarians get a much bigger discount, but the client does not want them to get the 10% discount in addition to their discoount...

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? maybe by using coupons somehow?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Group Discount - How to NOT apply other discounts

There is not an option for this built into Zen Cart at this time ...

You would need to custom code something to test for existing product discounts, specials, sales etc. prior to applying the group discounts ...

Note: if I usually got 10% off at your shop ... then found something on sale/special for 10% off and found I was no better off without the special/sale ... I'd be a tad bit miffed ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh
    There is not an option for this built into Zen Cart at this time ...

You would need to custom code something to test for existing product discounts, specials, sales etc. prior to applying the group discounts ...

Note: if I usually got 10% off at your shop ... then found something on sale/special for 10% off and found I was no better off without the special/sale ... I'd be a tad bit miffed ...
    Teachers get 25% off, Librarians 30% off -- so they will be very happy and not expect the 10% sale that everyone else gets...

Any advice on where to look for the code that applies the group discount?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The module that applies group discounts is:
    /includes/modules/order_total/ot_group_pricing.php

But it works based on "product prices" supplied to it by the shopping cart. "Specials" and "Sales" are already applied at this point. All the pricing functions in the /includes/functions files are based around this same concept.

What you're asking for can be done, but is not a simple case of "just change this to that" for a few lines of code, and will require studying interaction of pricing functions, significant testing, and lots of patience.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    The module that applies group discounts is:
    /includes/modules/order_total/ot_group_pricing.php

But it works based on "product prices" supplied to it by the shopping cart. "Specials" and "Sales" are already applied at this point. All the pricing functions in the /includes/functions files are based around this same concept.

What you're asking for can be done, but is not a simple case of "just change this to that" for a few lines of code, and will require studying interaction of pricing functions, significant testing, and lots of patience.
    I see what you mean...What do you think of this approach:

- Create a group with the 10% discount
    - Have that be the default group that all new customers belong to...

This way when they are switched to another group, they will only get that discount, not both...?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If your "10% off" is ALWAYS going to exist, AND applies to all products in your store, that's fine.

However, all your prices will show up as regular prices, with no indication that they are supposedly saving 10%, until they go to checkout. If what you're after from a visual perspective is to show that things are 10% off, then you'll lose that edge.

Why not try this:

Regular customers: shop, seeing regular price plus sale of 10%
    Teachers: shop, seeing regular price plus sale of 10%, and at checkout, get an additional 16.7% off the already-discounted prices, giving them a total of 25% off regular
    Librarians: shop, regularly, but get an additional 22.22% off, giving a total of 30% off regular

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

If your "10% off" is ALWAYS going to exist, AND applies to all products in your store, that's fine.

However, all your prices will show up as regular prices, with no indication that they are supposedly saving 10%, until they go to checkout. If what you're after from a visual perspective is to show that things are 10% off, then you'll lose that edge.

Why not try this:

Regular customers: shop, seeing regular price plus sale of 10%
    Teachers: shop, seeing regular price plus sale of 10%, and at checkout, get an additional 16.7% off the already-discounted prices, giving them a total of 25% off regular
    Librarians: shop, regularly, but get an additional 22.22% off, giving a total of 30% off regular
    You are a genius! That is perfect! How do you calculate that? It will be a very handy equation to have stickied to my monitor...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Code:
    A = Full Price      (ie: $90)
    B = discount #1  (10%)
    C = Discounted price #1  ($81.00)

D = discount #1 (25%)
    E = Discounted price #2  ($67.50)  =  A*(1-D)

Discount Difference = (C-E)/C

Plugin Contributions

Code:
    A = Full Price      (ie: $90)
    B = discount #1  (10%)
    C = Discounted price #1  ($81.00)

D = discount #1 (25%)
    E = Discounted price #2  ($67.50)  =  A*(1-D)

Discount Difference = (C-E)/C
    This is great, thank you very much for taking the time to write this!

Plugin Contributions

Re: Group Discount - How to NOT apply to certain products.

I have found this thread to be very interesting. I have a different problem in my store.

I am trying to sell gift certificates (wonderful feature ) but would like anyone in the 5% club to not get a discount on the gift certificate, as this would potentially cause a double discount on a purchase. ie., Buy a gift certificate for 50 dollars, get a 5 percent discount, then purchase something with the gift certificate for $50 dollars and receive a 5 percent discount again.

Is there a way to limit the Group Discount to not be applied to a product, or am I thinking of this the wrong way?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast