Plugin Contributions

installing a template-uploading the sql table update

i've never purchased one of the many available zencart templates before. but, one of my clients authorized its purchase. so, i'm working with one now.

i'm to the point where i need to update the tables in the sql database before i activate the template. but, i've never actually had to restore a database before (lots of backups--just never a restore).

what's more is it's just a field/table update. i'm not using the full.sql file with sample data.

so, my dilemma is my host's import utility (godaddy.com) seems to expect a CSV file. this is fine for the zencart backups, as that's what it creates. and, how do i specify that i'm only doing a table update and not a complete overwrite of the existing database?

the template we purchased includes a .sql file. what sort of magic do i need to perform on this file to get it to work? is there another way? all the help files i read say "contact your host for help". godaddy was less than enthusiastic about helping me. in fact, he didnt even want to really take my call. all he kept saying was "go to help.godaddy.com". thanks tech 'support'.

anyone give me some guidance?

thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: installing a template-uploading the sql table update

We do not sell any templates ... who did you buy this from?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

if you google for zencart template you'll see that there are several resellers. the first hit for example, sells the template we purchased.

I didn't think these were any huge mystery. I was hoping someone had worked with one before.

Plugin Contributions

These templates appear to be 1.2 templates given the number of tables I see when I view source. Of course the site says absolutely nothing about which version the templates are for.

In any case it looks as though you may have more than just an issue of SQL with these templates.

Sorry I cannot help more, but personally, after looking at what these ppl charge and what you got, you would have been better off to hire someone from the Commercial Help Wanted section to create a template for you.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

Algozone templates templates often have a 1.2+ AND a 1.3+ version. I suggest you con firm whether a 1.3+ version is available. However, even the 1.3+ versions are built in a peculiar way. IMO this programmer ports his designs from another shopping cart and does not build them for Zen from the ground up.

Algozone has nice looking graphic design and layout but the coding has given problems to several users. Be cautious of any mods from the forum if you get it running. The Algo changes sometimes do not play well with others.

Plugin Contributions

thanks all.

these are indeed 1.2 templates. i did not contact them for a 1.3 version (though i should have). rather, i just built the site with 1.2.6d. I have several others still running 1.2 just fine.

As for hiring out to have a template built, maybe next time. But my client really liked the one from algozone. So, I make due ;)

As for my original question, I never got any clarification from anyone. So, i just bit my cheek and uploaded the .sql file via godaddy's interface and it loaded fine

Plugin Contributions

So, i just bit my cheek and uploaded the .sql file via godaddy's interface and it loaded fine
    It's all part of the plan - make people wait long enough so they do it themselves and thus become more accomplished and independent

Vger