Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Easy embed template

ok its been about amonth I know but here it is.
    let me know what you think

sang_embed.zip

Plugin Contributions

Hi Josh,

I downloaded your mod. and I have a couple of questions.

When you say you can create a template and insert Zencart into it, does that mean (for example) I could buy a template from a template site for a music downloads store (not built for a cart) and Zencart would take on the look of this site?

On the stylesheets, are they in addition to the Zencart ones or instead of?

Thank You,

betty

Plugin Contributions

When you say you can create a template and insert Zen Cart into it, does that mean (for example) I could buy a template from a template site for a music downloads store (not built for a cart) and Zen Cart would take on the look of this site?
    what it means is you could buy said template and very easily make a copy of it (the html) and out zen cart in the content section of the template. in a lot of cases w/ sites that were done w/o a catalog initially can have a zc added in w/ out any big lay out changes.
    SO the site would surround it.
    As for it just taking on the look of the rest of the site that depends, on how the rest of the site looked. if it was made w/ good styles (CSS) you could expect a good amount of things to change, like the standard font and link color how tables and divs are handled.
    one thing I should pint out is this template is no match for a good css tweaking afterwards, and a good Graphic designer to tweak your site this just makes it hell easier to maintain a consistent looking web site. it was made w/ dreamweaver designers in mind because if they just put the <!-- START EMBED -->, <!-- END EMBED --> in to a dreamweaver editable area in a dream weaver template file, then when ever they make up dates to the whole site they make updates to the zen cart as well.
    On the style sheets, are they in addition to the Zen Cart ones or instead of?
    instead of.
    just unzip the contents of the .zip into you template directory and you have all the basics of the template.
    in the zen cart back end select sang_embed as your template and start dong more tweaks.

does this clarify things?

Plugin Contributions

Yes it does Josh, thank you.

It will be a while before I can actually use it, but I will let you know how it came out and definitely will post any issues I have with it

It would also help if sometime you apply it to a non-live v1.35 site so we could peak at the source and see it in action. Kind of a visual how to.

thanks again,

betty

Plugin Contributions

It would also help if sometime you apply it to a non-live v1.35 site so we could peak at the source and see it in action. Kind of a visual how to.
    well it is running on detoximin.com it live but there you go

JOsh

Plugin Contributions

Hiya Josh,

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to install this and make it work.

In the brief instructions it says to put the full path to my template in the embed_config.php in the common folder. But how does the html template know where any of the embed files are and visa versa?

There is nothing that tells me where to put what, so instead the store has a funky looking template now with purples, yellows, etc. on it and nothing from the html file/template/pages.

thank you,

betty

Plugin Contributions

Bettysue,
    I have a question, is the site that you are making suposed to only be a zen cart so that the ZC is in the root dir or is it a section of the site?
    the reason that I ask is aloot of the regular expressions used in the config file are to make your template that is designed for links that notmal go to pages of the same level to go to links one folder level back.

In the brief instructions it says to put the full path to my template in the embed_config.php in the common folder. But how does the html template know where any of the embed files are and visa versa?
    how does thos work you ask.
    well it takes the file that you have poitned to and reads it in to thme memory.
    then it goes through and loks for various patterns like the <body> tag, the <! START/STOP EMBED --> comments, or thins like doc type and strips them or modify them to work w/ the new directory.
    it them looks for paqterns to splith the one big html template in to 4 separate varibles,
    1. the head information like javescript and style sheet links.
    2. stuff that goes in to the body tag like onload commands.
    3. body Mark up that goes before the zen cart
    4. body mark up that goes after the zen cart

then it just echos the varibles in the aproprate places.
    It knows where the embeded files (I am assuming that you mena like incase and styles sheets, and moyby flash links) are becasue you put them in that template file.
    please include a link tp ypu site nad of you would a link to the raw template file in your next post.
    JOsh

Plugin Contributions

I have questions about the ZenCart Embed template that you have created.

My understanding is this:

1) I use the ZenCart to create all of my products so that they are in the database, etc.

2) I unzip all of the files into a ZenCart template file say /##############

3) I create an HTML (NON ZENCART) generic "template" file. Say it's called generic.html and uses the stylesheet generic.css For the code for the generic template page I currently have it setup like so:

<head> stuff (incl. javascripts, stylesheet links, etc.)</head>
    <body>
    Here is set the top of the page navigation, background images, etc.

<!-- START EMBED -->

Zen Cart stuff gets put here.

<!-- END EMBED -->

Here is the stuff for the footer of the page that I created in HTML, including footer navigation

</body>

4) I load the template file (the ############## one), and point it to generic.html ??? Is that correct?

Does generic.html have to be in any specific directory?

I was not clear on your other post, does this setup preferr that the ZenCart files are in the root, or in a /store directory?

Now what I want from ZenCart is the product_info stuff, the shopping cart, shipping, & Payment modules. Basically everything BUT the initial homepage (setup currently as index2.html because index.html is nothing but a browser detection Jscript)

Is it possible to specify, or does the ZenCart stuff get embedded in EVERY file? Or does pointing it at generic.html simply create a new template file (or mod the /############## template file)?

Not quite clear in exactly how this all gets put together.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks,

Brain21/Alex F

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ##########################
    Bettysue,
    I have a question, is the site that you are making suposed to only be a zen cart so that the ZC is in the root dir or is it a section of the site?
    The Zencart store is in a subdirectory off the root. The html files are in the root directory.

betty

Plugin Contributions

OK, this is what I did:

Created a generic.html file. Add the embed tags

unzipped the ############## embedded template and edited the 1 line to point to my generic.html file

Used the ZenCart admin to install the ############## template.

Now I navigate to the homepage and see that the stuff from the Generic.html is being used as a warapper. VERY cool!

OK, now what files got edited? IOW, how is this working?

I looked at generic.html and it seems unchanged. I looked at the files on the templates/##############_test directory (where I installed the ############## stuff) and those files (incl. tpl_main_page.php) look unchanged, as do the files in the template_default directory. I looked at index.php as well. No changes

So what file got changed and where? I would now like to do this to the other pages (other than generic.html). Do I run it once for each page, each time editing the ############## embed_config.php file to reflect the path of each page? How exactly does this work? I also nedd to edit some paths & files on the "generic.html" page and the other pages. Which files do I edit, for things like loading different stylesheets for each individual page that needs a different one?

How would I say, create a product_info.php page in ZenCart (via adding items to the db) and then get that working within my pages? Would I open up one of these "embedded" pages and then just replace the code within the EMBED tags with the code from the product_info.php page that ZenCart creates, editing out banners as necessary? Seems to me like that is the way it works?

Getting closer...

Thanks,

Brain21

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast