Thread: newbie help!!

Plugin Contributions

Default newbie help!!

I need some help.I asked my husband to sort me out with a website as he had designed his own, not an ecommerce site I hasten to add, and seemed confident. However first hiccup was he signed up with streamline.net , and although I LIKED THEIR TEMPLATES AND WAS HAPPY WITH THE FINAL DESIGN, FOR NOW, they don't incorporate stock control in their shopping cart. So he installed zencart. Next hiccup is that he can't get the two to work together! He then registered with a recommended host by zencart and I now have 2 domains!! one is .co.uk and one is .com. I hate the zencart layout. If you look at my .co.uk site you will see I am after a completely different look. However I haven't finished this site either! Before I spend endless days trying to to change my zencart site is there any way of incorporating the two? My husband wnats me to go with the .com site for now but I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. I would rather have none than stick with this layout. I am a complete novice by the way so any help would be appreciated, but in plain english please! Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: newbie help!!

You can definitely incorporate your templates within Zen-Cart by using the overrides. This method is explain, with details, on how to proceed from the FAQs, wiki documentation and by using the forum's search engine from the query keys you're amending for - all from this site. Some sticky topics also explains on how to proceed, by the letter, without affecting your personalized layouts.

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: newbie help!!

I would only add that as you have already invested time in your other site in making it "look" right only to find out that it did not have what you wanted for stock control, you should fore go the look and set up the functional side to determine if Zen Cart meets your needs. The styling can come later if you find that it does meet the functional requirements.

Looking at your products briefly, I might suspect that you are seeking stock control by size and color or 'stock by attribute'. This is not currently available in ZenCart. I know of no opensource cart that has this facility. There are commercial carts that have this but they are commercial(cost alot), but if you require this immediately then this is your only option.

Zen Cart has plans to incorporate this probably in the upcoming year, but I do not know how robust it will be nor how it will fit your needs. Remember that zencart is used by a diverse number of store types and this is a consideration in making features as widely applicable as possible.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten