Plugin Contributions

Order update emails make no sense...

Any recommendations on editing the order update emails to make sense?

I'm setting up a site that has both downloadable and shipped products. When a customer pays by check the email sent when the payment is received basically contains....

Your order has been updated to the following status:
    New status: Processing

This will only confuse the customer. What would you put in the email template so the customer knows that if he has shipped products they have been sent and if he has downloadable products he can log-in to his account and download them???

Anyone that has a site that sells both shipped and downloadable products want to share their email templates?

Re's
    Rob

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order update emails make no sense...

You can ... and should ... use the "comments" field to include that information when you are updating your orders. Comments are sent in the email, and are available in their "My Account" area for subsequent reference. It provides proof that you alerted them already, and gives all the details in one easy-to-navigate place.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    You can ... and should ... use the "comments" field to include that information when you are updating your orders. Comments are sent in the email, and are available in their "My Account" area for subsequent reference. It provides proof that you alerted them already, and gives all the details in one easy-to-navigate place.
    Don't I have to manually use the comments field???? I need to automate the process 100%.... If I have to tell everyone how to download products etc.... using the comments field I would have no time to do anything else.

I Need to automate this 100%. I don't have time to manually process 200 to 300 orders a day.

Re's
    Rob

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You could do some custom coding and retrofit pieces from the pdf-order-center contribution to suit your needs.

Last time I used it some of the features were buggy, but I believe the canned-responses feature was working fine.

Or you can use the code ideas from which the order center built the canned-response feature in the archived thread here: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...Admin+Comments

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Or you could just update the language files with something else:
    admin/includes/languages/english/orders.php
    Code:
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT', 'Order Update');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_ORDER_NUMBER', 'Order Number:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_INVOICE_URL', 'Detailed Invoice:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_DATE_ORDERED', 'Date Ordered:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_COMMENTS_UPDATE', '<em>The comments for your order are: </em>');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_STATUS_UPDATED', 'Your order has been updated to the following status:' . "\n");
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_STATUS_LABEL', '<strong>New status:</strong> %s' . "\n\n");
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_STATUS_PLEASE_REPLY', 'Please reply to this email if you have any questions.' . "\n");
    includes/languages/english/checkout_process.php
    Code:
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT', 'Order Confirmation');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_HEADER', 'Order Confirmation');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_FROM',' from ');  //added to the EMAIL_TEXT_HEADER, above on text-only emails
    define('EMAIL_THANKS_FOR_SHOPPING','Thanks for shopping with us today!');
    define('EMAIL_DETAILS_FOLLOW','The following are the details of your order.');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_ORDER_NUMBER', 'Order Number:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_INVOICE_URL', 'Detailed Invoice:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_INVOICE_URL_CLICK', 'Click here for a Detailed Invoice');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_DATE_ORDERED', 'Date Ordered:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_PRODUCTS', 'Products');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_SUBTOTAL', 'Sub-Total:');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_TAX', 'Tax:        ');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_SHIPPING', 'Shipping: ');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_TOTAL', 'Total:    ');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_DELIVERY_ADDRESS', 'Delivery Address');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_BILLING_ADDRESS', 'Billing Address');
    define('EMAIL_TEXT_PAYMENT_METHOD', 'Payment Method');