Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Quick question from a noob, please

I havel already searched and read the WIKI docs and can't find one specific piece of info. Someone is telling me that Zen Cart will allow the shipping method to be set on a per item basis. Specifically, that product A can be set to have a flat rate shipping amount while product B can be set at weight based shipping. That is this person's definition of "multiple shipping methods". I have always known that to be an "either/or" choice that covers all products (i.e., either weight based OR flat rate is used). Could someone please confirm the facts before I get greyer hair than I already have?

Thanks. Zen Cart looks really interesting.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Quick question from a noob, please

This can be done with the Per Unit perweightunit ...

This uses the products_weight as the Shipping Charge ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Super. I just searched on perweightunit and read a lot. Can this be used WITH the USPS API so I can get the shipping rate from USPS? It doesn't sound logical to me, but I've been reading/researching this for a day and a half and I'm getting crossed eyes LOL

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Plugin Contributions

Why would you want to use USPS for shipping rates ... and then turn around and want to use the Per Unit?

Per Unit says ...

Take all the products_weight * whatever you set the rate to be in the Per Unit Shipping Module ...

USPS is giving you real quotes ... the two are not intended to work together ...

What exactly are you attempting to do?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

This client wants to have "some" items in inventory that she sets a flat shipping rate for (e.g., a postcard = $2.00 shipping) and then have the rest of the items have their shipping calculated by the weight of the item.

I can think of all kinds of reasons why this won't work but would love to be proven wrong.

Plugin Contributions

This could be done with a lot of customization ...

You'd need to either decide what to do when products are in the cart for USPS ... in the cart for Custome Shipping Price ... and what to do when you have a mixture ...

If you have the mixture ... now you are really doing some custom coding as the cost for the items quoted by USPS cannot include the Custom Products ... and the Custom Products price has to be computed separately and then added to the quote on the other items quoted by USPS ...

While you are in a real mess on this ... it can be done ... depends on how much work you want to do or you will need to hire out for it ...
    Linda McGrath