Plugin Contributions

Default anyone know how to add a surcharge for certain zones?

Hi.

looking at adding an international surcharge to some items that are being shipped to international zones.

Zones are all setup and ready to go... i'm after an easy way to add a surcharge to international customers on a product by product basis.

The idea would be that Item X would cost $100 domestically, plus (say) $10 shipping and handling fee.

same item would cost $200 to ship world wide, with a $40 shipping and handling fee for instance.

I know I can add flat shipping and handling fees to certain zones..but i'd really like to do it on a per item basis (i wouldnt want a $30 item attracting a $100 surcharge)

Any way of doing this?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: anyone know how to add a surcharge for certain zones?

Zen Cart does not have per-item shipping-quote support built-in.
    To build such a thing will require custom coding. You might post in the Commercial Help Wanted area if you would like to hire someone.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    Zen Cart does not have per-item shipping-quote support built-in.
    To build such a thing will require custom coding. You might post in the Commercial Help Wanted area if you would like to hire someone.
    damn

back in the day i was pretty nifty with PHP... any idea where to start on such a mod?

All i basically wanna do is have a (enter psuedo code....)
    if ($shippingzone != "local") && ($item = surcharged) { $price = $price + ($price*SURCHARGEAMOUNT_FROM_DATABASE) }....

would htis require MAJOR code hacks? or is it something that could be pulled off with 1 database modification and 1 override function?

Point me int he right direction and i'll see how I go........
    (for now, i've just used the australia post module to tack on a flat fee for all international customers..but its a flat fee, and a little unfair....covers my costs but will scare international customers off on lower priced items)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You have the concept fine.

The problem is ... how do you intend to identify which items are surcharged vs not?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    You have the concept fine.

The problem is ... how do you intend to identify which items are surcharged vs not?
    add a field to the products table?

yes/no field

then another field with surcharge rate... a flat holding the % rate of that the price of the goods is to be surcharged?

yes?

OR
    another table and a linked query - which will save the changes in an upgrade (assuming the upgrade messes with the table scheme)....

what files and/or globally set variables am I going to be working with here?