Plugin Contributions

Default Shipping Flat, Per Product

Hi guys.

I do drop shopping, and whereas that sounds a little sketchy, I have a really good system set up with my suppliers, and it works very well, as I can't hold any inventory.

The problem is, each of my suppliers has different shipping rates. One of them has a flat rate price for each item (for example, item XXX can go anywhere for 10 dollars, and item X4X can go anywhere for 20 dollars), one of them has each item is 11.99 to anywhere, except freight items which are like, 130 dollars (they ARE REALLY big items... car parts), and one of them simply uses UPS ground.

I'm curious if anyone has a solution to how I can tackle this, I haven't found a way yet. Perhaps should I include shipping in the price? But then people will be VERY thrown off, I think it will detract from business significantly.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping Flat, Per Product

Sounds like you need to approximate your costs-per-pound and set product weight accordingly ... and then perhaps hide the weight from display. Then you could have the shipping module multiply weight times whatever cost-per-pound you determined covers your costs adequately.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping Flat, Per Product

Hmm, interesting idea. So for cost per lb, i could say all the 11.99 items are, 1 lb, the 40 dollar items are, i guess 4 lbs, and so on? Very interesting concept.