Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: California Sales Tax Module

Can someone explain how i open this file (can i select word to open it) and then where exactly do i go install it? (new to this)

i REALLY need this please help/

i read the readme.. but im still confused

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chachab View Post
    Can someone explain how i open this file (can i select word to open it) and then where exactly do i go install it? (new to this)

i REALLY need this please help/

i read the readme.. but im still confused
    Step 1. I use WINRAR to open it and extract it to my HD.
    Step 2. I use CONtext to Edit it.
    Step 3. And to upload it to my server, I use FileZilla.
    All Free stuff on the WWW.

Plugin Contributions

it took me a while but i finally got it. i was not understanding how to upload the database to myphp .. but FINALLY!

i REALLY appreciate peoples help!!!
    thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cfe View Post
    Heh, forgot to attach. Here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by w00gle View Post
    Whoops, here is the sql I mentioned about.
    Disclaimer: The file is 'Use as is'.
    All, its been awhile since I installed this.. Do you have a step by step...?

Plugin Contributions

just what i was looking for.

has the zip codes been updated for the new April 2009 tax rate increases?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lincomatic View Post
    Oops! Sorry I left some debug messages in scl-zip-tax-v2.zip... but for some strange reason I can't edit my previous posts. So here is it again, w/o the debugs.
    Does this wonderful program work with the latest version of Zen Cart V1.3.8?

Plugin Contributions

According to the BOE, California sales tax is charged based on the location where the goods change hands. If you ship them, tax is calculated on your location, not the customer's. Charge the customer location tax only if you make the delivery in person.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cmhdesign View Post
    According to the BOE, California sales tax is charged based on the location where the goods change hands. If you ship them, tax is calculated on your location, not the customer's. Charge the customer location tax only if you make the delivery in person.
    **If you ship outside of your district, that you are suppose to charge the State wide sales tax rate of 8.25%** If I ship in my district (San Diego, then I charge 8.75%.

Straight from the my BOE correspondence....
    In summary, based on the above citations and the information provided, if your business is located in San Diego County, you are considered engaged in business in San Diego County. Therefore, when you make a sale to a customer and you ship or deliver the property to the customer anywhere in San Diego County, you are responsible for reporting the 8.75% tax rate. However, if you ship or deliver the property to the customer in another district in which you are not considered engaged in business as defined above, you are required to report the transactions (sales) taxes of 8.25%, but you are not required to report the district use taxes of .50%. As such, it is false to say that if your business is located in San Diego, the 8.75% San Diego tax rate applies to all your sales shipped or delivered throughout California. The tax rate that applies is based on where the product is delivered to the customer.

Plugin Contributions

So if you do it this way, you don't need the mod rigth. I created a zone for CA and apply it to 8.20%. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    Thanks, this is very nice. I'll check it out right away.

Just one thing, you mention "any tax that you don't collect is the responsibility of the buyer ... ", I think that's wrong, it's the other way around. You (the seller) are resposible for paying sales tax to the BOE, you are allowed, but not required, to pass this cost on to the customer, but you are the one ultimately responsible for making sales tax payments.

I just charge 8.25% for all of California. The BOE does allow this and doesn't mind, it just says if you over-collected just send it all to them. I think most companies do it this way, it's just too much of a hassle figuring it out for all counties/districts unless you only deal withing your local zone.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmm...I hear a lot of different things about CA sale collection. But you sound convincing so when you say "BOE correspondence"
    is it from a BOE publication. If yes can you give me a number. I just want to be sure.

Also for those who use zip code for CA sale tax rate, on Application 17 it stated that it maybe incorrect to use address (zip code) to determine a sale tax.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmnet View Post
    **If you ship outside of your district, that you are suppose to charge the State wide sales tax rate of 8.25%** If I ship in my district (San Diego, then I charge 8.75%.

Straight from the my BOE correspondence....
    In summary, based on the above citations and the information provided, if your business is located in San Diego County, you are considered engaged in business in San Diego County. Therefore, when you make a sale to a customer and you ship or deliver the property to the customer anywhere in San Diego County, you are responsible for reporting the 8.75% tax rate. However, if you ship or deliver the property to the customer in another district in which you are not considered engaged in business as defined above, you are required to report the transactions (sales) taxes of 8.25%, but you are not required to report the district use taxes of .50%. As such, it is false to say that if your business is located in San Diego, the 8.75% San Diego tax rate applies to all your sales shipped or delivered throughout California. The tax rate that applies is based on where the product is delivered to the customer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast