Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

IE7 and Zen CSS Compatibility

Updated CSS behavior in IE7

It's reported to ensure standards compliance the IE7 team worked very closely with the W3C workgroup and have made over 200 changes from IE6 to become compliant with CSS2.1.

According to Kevin Yank in a recent issue of the SitePoint Tech Times:

"Word on the street is that, upon its release (before year's end), IE7 will be pushed out as a forced update to Windows XP users everywhere, as was done for Service Pack 2. The move to IE7 among the end-user masses will not be a gradual migration, but a sudden and significant shift."

Even if Zen Cart is currently standards compliant, will it continue to render correctly in IE7 ?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: IE7 and Zen CSS Compatibility

That all depends on Microsoft's definition of compliancy, which has proven to be weak.

I'm currently using the latest IE7 and it is definitely better than the older versions. If the final version is TRULY compliant, the storefront will render very similar to Firefox at present. However, I wouldn't start pulling out all the Explorer bug fixes any time soon.

Zen Cart's CSS follows strict W3C protocols in regards to XHTML. If it doesn't render properly right off the bat, it's usually a browser issue.

Plugin Contributions

Re: IE7 and Zen CSS Compatibility

Thanks Sketchy

Looks like the only way to know for sure how ones Zen Cart will work in Internet Explorer 7 is to download it and try. The most recent release is Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 (RC1), which can be downloaded on the Internet Explorer web site.

It's recommended Zen Carters download IE7 on a computer other than a primary machine (you still want IE6 on your primary machine at least until IE7 is officially launched).

RC1 is essentially the final version of how IE7 will display sites when launched, so if your site passes the test now you'll likely be OK when IE7 is released for real.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy
    I wouldn't start pulling out all the Explorer bug fixes any time soon.
    The problem with IE 7 is that the former css hacks which made IE 6 play nice will no longer work with IE 7. "* html", "_class" and other tricks will be ignored by the new IE just like Firefox or Opera or any other browser. However, that does not mean that IE will render correctly.

You are still going to have problems with IE, but at the moment, there are not any fixes that will isolate themselves to IE. So when you get the IE layout to work, it will screw up Firefox or Opera or some other browser.

It is going to be hard times for awhile. Until IE truely renders CSS correctly or we find some useful hacks that affect IE and IE only.

Plugin Contributions

Trust me IE7 SUCKS almost as bad as IE6 does.

I have been working on a single site for 4 days now and it will NOT render correctly in ALL browsers. It looks good in Firefox, then it's wonked in IE - looks good in IE7 and Firefox and it's wonked in IE6.

IE7 is NO better than IE6 - as a matter of fact it's worse - because at least there are workarounds and hacks for IE6.

And this is getting to be my BIGGEST complaint of the moment !
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

The obsolete bug fixes... true, true.

That's why I don't get too crazy with my templates, all for that reason. I can't deal with the stress and when I'm stuck with cross-browser issues... I'm a pressure cooker ready to explode. You could imagine what would happen with no available bug fixes...

Yeah, I'll be first to admit... Explorer started out as crap and it will remain as crap. I just like IE7 due to the fact that it has less whitespace than IE6 or at least it seems that way for me.

On a sidenote; how does everyone like Microsoft's hi-tech dev bar?

Plugin Contributions

it was just brought to my attention that my header is running into the main page of my site... and guess what, the problem is with ie 7.0 windows vista rc1 and some other ones like opera...

how do i fix this?

Plugin Contributions

Without a link to see what's happening we can only charge it with breaking and entering.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Without a link to see what's happening we can only charge it with breaking and entering.
    Just had to laugh at that one !

But truly dbltoe is right unless we havee something to look at we really can't troubleshoot.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

ok, click on this link to http://computerschak.com/images.htm

see what i am referring too.. how do you fix it so that the header does not run into the main page? the image running into the page is what it looks like in ie 7.0 RC1..

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bfwdesigns; 10 Oct 2006 at 12:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast