Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Renaming Admin Folder

Hi,

In the process of securing my site I tried to rename the /admin folder as per instructions on the Wiki. I changed all instances of admin to my new name in configure.php. The problem I think is I am unsure of where to save the new configure.php file. I am using the over ride system so should I save the new file as includes/templates/MYTEMPLATE/admin/includes/configure.php?

I don't think so... as it doesn't work. If anyone could advise me on the right path I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Nate

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Renaming Admin Folder

you have a custom template for admin also ? I haven't ever worried about customizing the back end other than logo and email header.

I would assume you put it back where it started at, which in standard zen installs is admin(or new folder name)/includes/

But I guess I can't be positive as I said, I never bother to over ride the admin area.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

This is directly from the Wiki Docs (see the parts underlined in bold):

"Rename your /admin folder

It is recommended for additional security that you rename your admin directory after installation. This way, it will be significantly harder for hackers to find your admin area or attempt any attack on breaking into it.

(Before making the following changes, make sure to have a current backup of your files and your database.)

A - Open your admin/includes/configure.php, using a simple text editor like notepad. Change all instances of admin to your chosen new admin folder-name. For maximum security, you may want to consider that new folder name should include numbers and a combination of upper and lower case letters. The longer you make this folder's name the more secure it will be. Make sure you leave all the / intact.

Change this section:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/');
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN', '/admin/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

And this section:

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/home/mystore.com/www/public/admin/');
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/mystore.com/www/public/');

B - Find your Zen Cart™ /admin/ directory, using your FTP software or your webhost File Manager. Rename the directory to match the settings you just made in step A.

C - To login to your admin system you will now have to visit a new URL that matches the new name used in steps A and B above. For example instead of visiting http://www.example.com/admin/ visit http://www.example.com/NeW_NamE4u/. Use of SSL is highly recommonded to protect your and your customers information. To protect the new admin folder name from packet sniffers, use https in the example link above (this of course depends on your server having an SSL certificate installed).

D - You should also protect your admin area by using an .htaccess file similar to the one shown below, and placing it into /admin/includes. This should already exist in Zen Cart™ versions 1.2.7 and greater."

Any ideas? I'd like to get my site secured.

Thanks,

Nate

Plugin Contributions

You're reading too much into it.

Simply rename the admin folder itself to whatever (instead of /admin it can be /myverysecureadminfoldersohackerscantfinditblah if you like) and make the appropriate changes in the mentioned config files.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by aPurpleMonkey.com
    You're reading too much into it.

Simply rename the admin folder itself to whatever (instead of /admin it can be /myverysecureadminfoldersohackerscantfinditblah if you like) and make the appropriate changes in the mentioned config files.
    Are you saying that I don't need to use the over ride system? Just change the configure file and over write it?

Thanks,

Nate

Plugin Contributions

Bumping this back up as I have some questions on this that I hope someone will be able to answer.

I am at the point where I have renamed all my admin folders. Now when I go to rename the configure.php when I hit save it gives me the following error message.
    [a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]

What am I doing wrong and did I get to far ahead of myself?

ps. Please talk slow to me as I have never done this type of stuff before. lol

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I'm having this same issue... (and this thread didn't help)

I renamed admin in the 3x suggested places in the admin/includes/config.php file.

I also made sure this was identical to the admin directory.

However, every time I try to log into admin after doing this, it says something about Zen Cart not being installed correctly...

Now, I can rename the folder back to "admin" (exactly as the original was).. AND I can put the settings back to "admin".. (instead of the new name I gave)...

i.e. I simply restore the old settings...

and I still get the error page which says that zen cart is not installed correctly/ or theres an error in my config file!

the only way to get things back to normal is to re-install at that point!

PLEASE NOTE! -- the normal store remains unaffected by this... it functions perfectly regardless of these changes.

This doesn't make sense to me... and I can't seem to figure out why I can't change my admin folder... I think this is very important for security--

Unfortunately, the faq mentions nothing about my sitaution, and I don't see an answer for this on google.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhatimdoing View Post
    Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I'm having this same issue... (and this thread didn't help)

I renamed admin in the 3x suggested places in the admin/includes/config.php file.
    There are 6 places mentioned to replace admin with your new admin folder name in your emails. Did you miss any?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If it's saying it's not installed correctly, after editing your configure.php file, then you've made an error in your changes.

Here's a more up-to-date FAQ which talks about renaming the admin folder: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=73

You did make a backup of that configure.php file before you made any changes to the original right? That way you can go back to the previous settings easily if one of your edits doesn't work the way you desired.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    There are 6 places mentioned to replace admin with your new admin folder name in your emails. Did you miss any?
    Sorry -- I take back what I said in my last post. You are correct. There are 3 places to change admin to the new folder name.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast