Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to Setup downloads

We have run into problem with some of our less computer saavy users who just don't have any idea how to unzip a file (I've spent too many hours on the phone to make it worth my while). That's why we went with an EXE.

We do have a hyphen in the name of the file (it is already lowercase). I can take out the hyphen and give that a try.

However, it still doesn't answer the question about why it would work fine for nearly a year and then suddenly stop working. That is the part that does not make much sense to me.

Plugin Contributions

Even with the name changed to a 6 character (no dashes, hyphens or anything) file, I still get the same error.

When zencart creates the link, is there extra code added to the file that would change the file size? Could my internet host be creating a problem with something they might be adding to protect themselves from virus programs (the file is an EXE)?

I really do need to get this resolved soon! HELP!

Plugin Contributions

Default Corrupt Downloads

I have the same problem.
    Once downloaded through the cart the file is small and corrupt.
    Doesn't matter what size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    unix or windows server? Windows

How large is the Download? 2.5 mb

Is the file Zipped? Yes

Are you using space, special characters or extra periods in the filename? Yes _

Do small files work? No

Plugin Contributions

On the small file test, did you test a zip less than 1meg? The test.zip that comes with Zen Cart is a good one to use ...

If you turn OFF the Redirect, does this work?

NOTE: windows servers must have Redirect OFF

NOTE: some unix servers must have Redirect OFF when not configured properly to work with symbolic links

NOTE: both server types have limits on file size setup by your hosting site
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! Turning off redirect was the key.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for letting us know that because you are on a windows server that you needed to have the Redirect turned OFF for the downloads to function properly ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

My re-direct is set to "off" or "false". It always has been.

I noticed that for redirect on, I need to make sure the /pub folder is set at 777. Since I'm on windows, do I need to make sure that any particular folders are set in any special way? I'm wondering if my host may have reset some folder settings.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wyns View Post
    Our downloads have been setup for quite some time (6-12 months) and in the last few days, we have suddenly been getting error messages on the download links that are created. We have had 100s of successful downloads up to this point.
    Sounds like a host server-config change.

However, it still doesn't answer the question about why it would work fine for nearly a year and then suddenly stop working. That is the part that does not make much sense to me.
    Sounds like a change on your host's server configuration

Could my internet host be creating a problem with something they might be adding to protect themselves from virus programs (the file is an EXE)?
    Most likely

When zencart creates the link, is there extra code added to the file that would change the file size?
    No. Esp with redirect=off, it simply links directly to the file itself.

We have run into problem with some of our less computer saavy users who just don't have any idea how to unzip a file (I've spent too many hours on the phone to make it worth my while). That's why we went with an EXE.
    You didn't indicate whether it works fine as a ZIP instead of EXE. It would help to be able to rule out EXE as an issue.

My re-direct is set to "off" or "false". It always has been.

I noticed that for redirect on, I need to make sure the /pub folder is set at 777. Since I'm on windows, do I need to make sure that any particular folders are set in any special way? I'm wondering if my host may have reset some folder settings.
    Redirect=on does not work on Windows hosts since Windows doesn't support symlinks nor the security benefits they offer.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your reply.

I can download the EXE file directly from the download folder and it runs fine. Which should mean that it is irrelevant as to whether the file is an EXE or a ZIP. It only happens when I click on a link created within zencart.

I have suspected a change in the host server, but didn't know which settings to check.

If you could point me in the right direction on file settings on which folders (ie. my download directory, read, write, execute or read write only) that would be so very helpful.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you could point me in the right direction on file settings on which folders (ie. my download directory, read, write, execute or read write only) that would be so very helpful.
    With redirect=off, files are served directly from the downloads folder. There are no special permissions required there.

What are all your settings in Admin->Configuration->Attribute Settings ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast