Plugin Contributions

Default How often do you change your template?

I was just reading through the forums and thought of an interesting topic...how often do you change your zen cart template? And what I mean by that is major changes - not just adding a sidebox here or there, but major changes such as different colors or an entirely new theme.

I don't really know what I will do (I just opened up shop). I love the design of my shop now and it is based on the standard zen cart template. And I know that customers can get annoyed very quickly if you change it often. But it can also begin to look outdated fairly often also. With all of these things in mind, I think I'll probably shoot for a template change/upgrade/modification about every year and a half. What does everyone else think?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How often do you change your template?

my client has one template deisgn in use, and I am creating 3 exact the same ones only different colours.

This allows her to change the template for the 4 seasons in the year, without actually making the site work any different, same basid layout design only change in colours.
    My only addon is Gallery addon and can be seen here breezy

Plugin Contributions

I don't ever change designs - none of my clients ever change their designs. They are happy with the way their shops look.

I also have numerous clients whose entire website is Zen with custom pages and menus and such - those clients would get SHOT if they asked me to change it other than simple colors / graphics - there are far too many hours of customizing.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

By using the override system correctly, when upgrading none of the custom template files are lost...and if done correctly very few files require cross checking for changes.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

In the case of www.jemimalumley.co.uk it would simply mean creating a new header image, foter image and then replicating the current css files but altering the coloursa to match the new design.

Very simple 3 file edit, and you get what looks like a completely new site, I think its great.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    By using the override system correctly, when upgrading none of the custom template files are lost...and if done correctly very few files require cross checking for changes.
    And if you design sites using zen with custom sidebars - and more than one template that isn't the case.

On one site that I work on - it would take 4 template folders to edit images/buttons/css/ and then you would have the template changed.

I happen to use the over ride system for everything that it is meant to be used for - but there are also files that I can't over ride (template-init being one of them) and those are the reason that I prefer not to change things too much once the site is complete.
    I have designed far too many custom sites to not use over rides and because of my expertise at doing so I have clients who retain me as their webmaster as well as simply "template" contracts.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

I think I would have to agree with that, though Tina, as your aware, the site I gave as an example was mostly css changes, so in that case it is fairly easy to make a new template the exact same without much custom work.

I d however have another site with custom sidebars and I agree in that to make a new one will take forever.

Your such a smarty pants you know

Plugin Contributions

Tinas,
    And if you design sites using zen with custom sidebars - and more than one template that isn't the case.
    While fully correct for your "highly customized sites", did you take the time to look at the site in question? Very simple layout at this time and fully changable using the ovverride system.
    I interrpreted the orig poster to be concerned with losing their customizations and pointed them to the use of the override systems as designed.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten