Plugin Contributions

Moving links around on the main page

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could help me with this problem? if you look at this page: (http://www.handcrafteduk.com/index.p...=index&cPath=2) you will see that above the green writing 'furniture' is the word furniture written in black.

How do I move the sub category links from the bottom of the page (at the moment the only one is 'Mexican') into this section? I really, really would appreciate ANY help with this as I've posted it in a few other zencart forums without a response and was hoping someone could help me here!

Many thanks,

Gary

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving links around on the main page

Gary,

There are already pre-programmed functions to do what I think that you want. You currently do not have any items in the "Mexican" sub-category so this is not displaying. See the current default function in your instruments listing and/or select the empty "Mexican" sub-cat from the sidebar.

What is in the footer is a link and I am supposing that you want the name above furniture only when that category is selected but could be mistaken about this.

See the current display functions when there are items in the sub cat and if that does not display as you want then post back
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Gary,

There are already pre-programmed functions to do what I think that you want. You currently do not have any items in the "Mexican" sub-category so this is not displaying. See the current default function in your instruments listing and/or select the empty "Mexican" sub-cat from the sidebar.

What is in the footer is a link and I am supposing that you want the name above furniture only when that category is selected but could be mistaken about this.

See the current display functions when there are items in the sub cat and if that does not display as you want then post back
    Hi Kobra,

Thanks for the reply. What I want to happen is that after 'furniture' is clicked on the left hand menu, the link to 'mexican' moves from the bottom of the page and replaces the black 'furniture' at the top. I want to get rid of the writing furniture.

I looked in admin but nothing seemed to work. I guess I need to copy some code into something to get the effect I want?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply. What I want to happen is that after 'furniture' is clicked on the left hand menu, the link to 'mexican' moves from the bottom of the page and replaces the black 'furniture' at the top. I want to get rid of the writing furniture.
    If you select mexican in the left menu then "Mexican" is displayed...
    What will happen when you have other sub-cats under "Furniture" ???do you always want "Mexican" to display say when "Contempoary" is selected?
    I think that I understand that you want a title to display but do not get why you want the link in the footer to move?? As this would be a "link" and you would already be there??
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

If you select mexican in the left menu then "Mexican" is displayed...
    What will happen when you have other sub-cats under "Furniture" ???do you always want "Mexican" to display say when "Contempoary" is selected?
    I think that I understand that you want a title to display but do not get why you want the link in the footer to move?? As this would be a "link" and you would already be there??
    I would want all my subcategory links to move into this title display. So, when I add more 'Furniture' categories other than Mexican, they will appear alongside it at the top. The same would go for instruments, all the other insturment categories would appear in the title display.

I want to move them out of the footer because, with the text I'm putting at the page, people might overlook them if they're at the bottom of a scrolling page.

Plugin Contributions

OK, when I select instruments on yur site "Didgeridoos" displays as a selectable link. Mexican is an empty sub cat and does not display....put a product in this sub-cat and it will display like the instruments diplays...

You have added this somewhere and you might need to get rid of it:
    name of item and the link here
    brief description of the item here. in no more than
    20 words. Hopefully they will fit on this part of
    the page!
    Enter the price (here) add to cart (here)
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

OK, when I select instruments on yur site "Didgeridoos" displays as a selectable link. Mexican is an empty sub cat and does not display....put a product in this sub-cat and it will display like the instruments diplays...

You have added this somewhere and you might need to get rid of it:
    Hi Kobra,

I think you misunderstand what I am trying to do? If you take didgeridoos as the example I want this to happen;

Click on instruments in the left sidebox. IGNORE the didgeridoo link in the left sidebox. Now, in the main page you will see Instruments/worldwide instruments/didgeridoos link.

What I want to do is remove the word instruments and in it's place put the didgeridoo link there. So thep age will read: didgeridoo link/ worlwide instruments.

Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

To be honest, changing what you want is possible but to provide a step by step is too involved and would take more time to explain than to accomplish.

You need to get if you do not have FireFox and the Web Developers tools extention, this will let you determine the class of the items that you want to move.
    Use the ZenCart admin > tools > developers tool kit > search function to find what files the classes are used in.

As you want to replace current functions with functions that display elsewhere you will have to move the functions that you want into the current areas, replacing the ones that are there. As a start the top "furniture" display is in /includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_index_categories.php.
    It is "indexCategoriesHeading"
    Code:
    <h1 id="indexCategoriesHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1>
    and is also placed into the breadcrumb with
    Code:
    <h1 id="indexCategoriesHeading"><?php echo $breadcrumb->last(); ?></h1>
    You also need to find "indexCategoriesDescription" which displays "Mexican" and move that function to the above....insuring that you remove the complete function from where it currently displays to prevent an error. And ofcourse check that other dependancies have not been affected.

Then find your other items and relocate them. As all this information is present, you might rethink if it is worth doing what you want.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

thanks Kobra,

I still think I'll go ahead with it so thanks for giving me the advice on how to do it!