Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Product Listing, Is this possible

Spent quite a long time searching but to no avail. - -

Is this possible to do with the product listing? Setting zen to display products in a row like this?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Listing, Is this possible

Yes, but you will need to add several fields to your product's information and then modify the module to display them.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks alot, now would there possibly be a tutorial on how to add fields, and modifiying modules here? I cannot seem to find a post dealing with my specific question.

Plugin Contributions

Another quick question. Maybe I can shortcut this here. Can I just change the Product model field to say Product Condition?

I found this thread, but Im not sure if this is will work.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...t=change+model

Plugin Contributions

Yes, you can re-define the text as outlined in the post.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Well I was able to change model to condition so it shows on the item description page only, but I cannot seem to find the page to make it change like on the image I posted above.

Plugin Contributions

In your admn > tools > developers tool kit > at the bottom left box enter the text you want to find > select the drop down "all catalog" files and search...you will find the other files where this resides
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by unk View Post
    Another quick question. Maybe I can shortcut this here. Can I just change the Product model field to say Product Condition?
    i wouldn't do that. there are better ways to do what you're asking, including using the zen cart relational database system as it exists.

there are several layers to data. some folks call them layers, others call them tiers; you can call them whatever you want. the point is that if you get your ducks in a row at the lowest level, they'll come through more easily at the higher levels.

i would make sure you have the desired recordset available, if not, you'll have to modify the database a bit. but it seems to me that what you want to do can be done with existing product and related option and attribute tables

once you know your recordset is good to go, choosing your presentation layer will be like clockwork. you can use the default zen cart presentation layer for product attributes, use one of many data grid controls available from most major software companies (adobe/macromedia has a good one for internet apps) or build your own (google 1 of many tutorials available on this).
    Last edited by neunetllc.com; 20 Oct 2006 at 09:30 AM.

Plugin Contributions

i forgot to mention that building your own datagrid would be as simple as iterating through and echoing the recordset values with an add to cart button at the end for that specific product (which is what the default zen cart product listing does, but with a specific recordset).

however, if you have many options and attributes for each product, the possible number of combinations becomes quite large. if this is the case then you may want to just consider using the default zen cart presentation, which is not in grid format.

other possibilities are: using dynamic data grids that reduce the recordset based on a given input. for example, you could design a datagrid control such that selecting a car's "make" field value will affect the "models" left in the resulting recordset. choosing the model may affect available "colors", etc... (this would technically become a permutation, not a combination, since order matters, which would reduce the number of records in the final recordset by a factorial (k!))
    Last edited by neunetllc.com; 20 Oct 2006 at 09:52 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much for the response.

I think this would be a nice option for zen cart to include on a future update, the ability to add custom product fields to your item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast