Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Changing Title on Homepage

Hi,

Is there anyway of changing the title on the homepage of my site http://www.urbanmaleclothing.com currently it just has the title of the site but I would like to add on something more descriptive.
    I know you can change the titles of the individual product pages but there doesn't seem to be an option to change the homepage.

Steve @ www.urbanmaleclothing.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing Title on Homepage

Look at includes/languages/YOURTEMPLATE/meta-tags.php

Your title, tagline, keywords for the site in general are defined there.

Hope that helps.
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I don't think that's accessable from the admin area though, I don't think I have access to CPanel

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanMaleClothing View Post
    Hi Thanks for the reply,

I don't think that's accessable from the admin area though, I don't think I have access to CPanel

How do you edit any files on your site? you have to have some kind of FTP access. You need to edit the page locally, then upload the new version through FTP.
    Ripper
    Oz Website Services
    www.oz-web.net

Plugin Contributions

I edit any of the files I need to through the Admin panel, there's an option to write title, description and keyword tags on the product upload pages, but for the home page you can't.
    It's not a bigg issue as the URL is fairly descriptive, I just wondered if I could add anything to it myself.
    The site was built for me by pro web designers.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by TinaS View Post
    Look at includes/languages/YOURTEMPLATE/meta-tags.php

Your title, tagline, keywords for the site in general are defined there.

Hope that helps.
    Wish I'd caught this thread earlier when I'd been searching, must have entered in the wrong key words... oops my bad.

I tried doing this through cPanel and for some reason it wouldn't take. What else could be going on possibly? Any ideas??

I double checked to make sure that all of the marks were still there such as the '' and such; everything was fine with that. I'm not quite sure. Where I guess I'm confused is, since it said in the FAQs like I'd mentioned in my previous post, that type of coding was for a previous version which is under the newest one. So am I correct to assume that it would work regardless of what the version is or.......

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanMaleClothing View Post
    I edit any of the files I need to through the Admin panel, there's an option to write title, description and keyword tags on the product upload pages, but for the home page you can't.
    It's not a bigg issue as the URL is fairly descriptive, I just wondered if I could add anything to it myself.
    The site was built for me by pro web designers.

So, you have no other way to edit any of the code on your website? Is this site just your shopping cart and nothing else? I'm trying to help here, not be smart-*** (I know, it's hard to tell sometimes....)
    If you only manage a cart and that's your entire site, then you may need to look into getting more access to your server somehow.
    If you do manage other sections of a site and not just the cart, you can apply the same techniques to the cart.

What you want to do is not hard at all, you just need a way to access certain files within the cart folder. That is not possible with the admin panel alone.
    Ripper
    Oz Website Services
    www.oz-web.net

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by techwizard View Post
    Wish I'd caught this thread earlier when I'd been searching, must have entered in the wrong key words... oops my bad.

I tried doing this through cPanel and for some reason it wouldn't take. What else could be going on possibly? Any ideas??

I double checked to make sure that all of the marks were still there such as the '' and such; everything was fine with that. I'm not quite sure. Where I guess I'm confused is, since it said in the FAQs like I'd mentioned in my previous post, that type of coding was for a previous version which is under the newest one. So am I correct to assume that it would work regardless of what the version is or.......
    I'm confused now... That's not hard to do lately... Your edits should not care what version of the cart you are running. You need to be sure you are editing the correct files for what you are trying to do. cPanel is not your best option for editing files. If you have FTP access to your site, you can use any FTP program, Microsoft FrontPage (earlier versions will not work, they alter the code, but FP 2003 does not, I haven't tried anything newer yet) or DreamWeaver (I use Dreamweaver MX 2004, and it will also NOT change any code if you set a few options ahead of time) to mae changes to your code. The trick is to find which files hold the code you need to alter, copy them (un altered) into your custom folder, then make your edits. Make sure you apply the change to your new template or none of this will show up. I'm sure there's a tutorial on this site that explains it all, as far as what to do on the Zen side of the project.....
    Ripper
    Oz Website Services
    www.oz-web.net

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    I'm confused now... That's not hard to do lately... Your edits should not care what version of the cart you are running.
    That's what I was hoping but not sure, it's a major relief in knowing about that issue. Thanks for the confirmation! I appreciate it so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    You need to be sure you are editing the correct files for what you are trying to do. I'm sure there's a tutorial on this site that explains it all, as far as what to do on the Zen side of the project.....
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=17

This is the tutorial that I was referring to in my previous post that I had found in search of tutorials plus also I'd worked with to set things up for the title change over. In most cases things were working however with this one, I didn't come to any solution so this is where the confusion started setting in.

I hope it's okay to post this but here's what I've done, let me know if this is incorrect. My language is english and I'm using the basic template

/home/basketsn/public_html/includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php...

// page title
    define('TITLE', 'Baskets N Boughs');
    // Site Tagline
    define('SITE_TAGLINE', 'Gift Baskets and Wreaths');

I'd assume that's correct isn't it? I'd seen somewhere there was a discussion on using either a dash or a colon. I tried to use that concept in with what I was doing, it didn't work so I changed it back to what I had. Anyway. Right now my concern is to just get this part of it working then move onto the next part of things and so on.

Hope that all this is making sense. I've been trying to make it on my own for the most part however there's a few spots where I get totally caught up and need help getting dug out. I greatly appreciate your's and everyone else's assistance with this.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, that looks correct. Are you doing this directly to the files in the
    "/home/basketsn/public_html/includes/languages/english/" folder or are you creating a sub-folder and editing the same file in that folder?
    If you create sub-folders, you need to apply the changes to use that template in the admin panel before your site changes will take effect.
    Ripper
    Oz Website Services
    www.oz-web.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast