Plugin Contributions

Default moving site to a new server

I've never done anything like this before, so I just want to make sure I'm preparing the way I should be.

I went to phpmyadmin and backed up the entire database for the shop into a .sql file and saved the images directory, as well as all of the "information" and "more information" files. Is there anything else I need to do to insure a seamless integration? Any tips or pointers are appreciated ... even by way of a good host. Right now I'm thinking about dreamhost, but if anyone has any exerpiences with them or whatnot I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: moving site to a new server

A good host will move your site for free....check the certified hosts here.

As far as the files that you are backing up...the DB sounds as though you have got all of it. But I would FTP "ALL" the store files to your PC for a complete store backup.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Right now I'm thinking about dreamhost
    If you do a search of these forums you'll find plenty of posts about Dreamhost - from memory none of them are good.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I also agree with what kobra said. Using your FTP program you can download everything onto your personal computer. Having your site backed up on your own computer is highly recommended and for all kinds of reasons. And a good Host will usually transfer your site for free but the catch is, new Hoster must be using same Control Panel as current Hoster.

Quote Originally Posted by creo ingero View Post
    I've never done anything like this before, so I just want to make sure I'm preparing the way I should be.

I went to phpmyadmin and backed up the entire database for the shop into a .sql file and saved the images directory, as well as all of the "information" and "more information" files. Is there anything else I need to do to insure a seamless integration? Any tips or pointers are appreciated ... even by way of a good host. Right now I'm thinking about dreamhost, but if anyone has any exerpiences with them or whatnot I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    Zencart runs very slow on Dreamhost...I think it has something to do with the Mysql database.

I use to host my site on dreamhost and had to switch after a month of trying to let them know about the slow speed of zencart on their servers I was having with their slow service, they where never willing to admit guilt that the problem with the slow service was their fault so I just took my business elsewhere.