Plugin Contributions

Default What do I do now?

Hi I am a noob at zen cart, no dramas at all using html and dreamweaver, but I have installed and configured zen cart, and I have read a bit on it.

To be honest I am stuck and dont know what to do now. this is really ticking me off as I dont often get stuck, but I am at a loss and dont know where to go or what to do now. I have an online store using XLEcom and mals cart, but need more options than that can offer. Please help a stuck noob.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: What do I do now?

Hey Redsea,

I recommend reading up on how to customize Zen Cart by setting up your own template. Just go to the forum index and scroll down. Everything is categorized and with a little patience you'll find yourself in deep in no time. Basically all the documentation is available you just need to do some searching. There are also loads of downloads like better templates and great add ons to the cart.

For some more specific information first check this out:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=142

And then check this out:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=43

The first article covers creating your own custom template so you can leave the others alone and have fun with your own. The second article explains in more detail how to specifically do what you want to do. Basically you just need to find the CSS class or id of an object, edit the stylesheet for your template and your good to go.

My recommendation is this. Read the first article covering overrides. I know it seems like a pain at first but you will be happy once you have things setup. Then, for modifying most things in your Zen site you should use the following tools:

1. Download and start using Aardvark for Firefox. http://karmatics.com/aardvark/. Its an essential tool that allows you to hover over elements on a page and see instantly the name/id/class.

2. Use the ZenCart Developers Tool Kit under the Tools section in the Admin. Here you can type in strings of names/ids/classes/text that you want to edit or found with Aardvark or by viewing the page source.

3. Speaking of which, page source, should have been #2 because looking at your source will allow you to find things in a page and then see what code they are wrapped in. Then you can search for that stuff in the Developer Tool Kit.

Cool! And remember to always backup! Make sure to backup the site directories AS WELL AS THE DATABASE! (ask your host how to do this if you don't know how) You should always do this anyway because you never know when your host may crash! Mine did about 3 weeks ago. If you have a backup you can edit things knowing that you can always revert to your backup if you screw something up. Otherwise your SOL.

That should get you well under way to mastering the fine art of Zen Cart. Have fun and remember this cart is free and works amazing once you take the time to learn it!

Cheers,
    Jonah

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What do I do now?

Cheers Jonah, I no doubt will have other questions, so thank you for the right direction to head in as it was sending me crazy

Plugin Contributions

Well I can say now that things look a little different and I am not as lost. For some reason I removed and re-install Zen twice and installed it a 3rd time and finally have access to the admin area whew!

Now the links you gave me Jonah make sense and maybe things might not be so daunting Thanks a million again, and at least now when I post a question, I will have an idea of what I am trying to achieve or do lol

Plugin Contributions

Note: Zen Cart v1.3.6 was just released ... if this is all fairly new to you ... test an upgrade ...

Or, start over with the new version ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Yeah I reinstalled not that it really matters as I have done now about 6 times, but all is not lost as it is helping me heaps find and understand things.