Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Macs Forbidden???

I have a customer that phoned me today, saying he gets an error when trying to add a product to his shopping cart.

He described it as the Forbidden page and said the page said something like "additionally, a 404 was found".

So it sounds like the page is missing. However, while on the phone I walked through it on my computer and it worked just fine. And I've received a dozen orders today and all is good.

He wondered if its because he uses a mac.

Is this possible??

It happens at the moment he hits the "add to cart" button.

I don't know where to begin with troubleshooting. Any ideas? Thanks.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Macs Forbidden???

Did you find out what browser and OS he was using?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

From the "who's online" page:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.22; Mac_PowerPC)
    Is that enough info? otherwise, is there a more detailed log I can look at?

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

I'm not an expert at that, but that is a really old browser if it is IE 5.22 - it is possible that ZC won't work with it.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the response Kim.

I wouldn't have thought a "forbidden" error could be caused on the client end, but I'm no expert either. I figured that was a server-side error.

He emailed me again, giving me slightly more details... a copy/paste of the error:
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /shop/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    - Steven

Plugin Contributions

What is in your .htaccess? Are you using an SEO URL mod?

Plugin Contributions

Looking into it further...

5.2.2 is only one less than the "most" current IE for Mac browser, which is 5.2.3. However, that was released in July of 2003 and development other than bug-fixes has been stopped. I didn't know that... I had no idea MS had given up on IE for Mac.

Anyway... July 2003 isn't THAT old, and current browser statistics show that a significant number of users (3-4 percent) still use IE 5.x so I thing it might be worth ZC's time to see what the problem might be... however, I also know we must move on and I would never suggest losing common or popular features over it.

I've suggested to the customer that he consider switching his browser to something currently supported... however, for all I know he has a computer built in 2000 and is barely computer literate... so chances are, I just lost a customer. Still, that shows that it is vitally important to have a phone-order system as soon as your business grows to the point that it is practical.

Thanks for looking into it Kim.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    What is in your .htaccess? Are you using an SEO URL mod?
    Sorry, I didn't see that message.

No, I'm not using any SEO URL mod. The .htaccess should be whatever comes with ZC 1.2.7d because I never changed it.

I should have mentioned that... this store is 1.2.7d, not 1.3x

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

to further answer your Q (in case I did change the htaccess and forgot) here is the one in my root folder:
    Options All -Indexes

RedirectMatch permanent ^/$ http://smartieparts.com/shop
    - Steven

Plugin Contributions

Well - I believe it is something in your set up or server that is causing the problem (other than display issues with IE5 on a Mac) otherwise we would have many more complaints of the same issue. If you find something that is Zen Cart code causing a problem then let us know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast