Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Can I make some products ship-only, some pickup-only, some both?

Hi, folks. This may be a tricky question.

I am setting up a webfront for a liquor store. In the state in which the store operates, it is not legal to sell alcohol on the internet. However, it is OK to have people put together an order and pick it up in the store.

But there's more... the store also sells cigars, and those are legal to sell and ship on the internet. But they could be picked up in the store as well.

Additionally, the store wants to sell internet-only products such as wine racks. These drop-ship from the manufacturer and thus aren't available at all in the store.

So that's three different types of things:
    1. Items only available for pickup
    2. Items available for both pickup and shipping
    3. Items only available for shipping (and drop-shipped, no less)

Is this going to be possible for me to do in zc? I am just starting to evaluate it, so don't know its full potential, but I know this is going to be tricky. Or is it? :)

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I make some products ship-only, some pickup-only, some both?

Yes, this is going to be tricky, unless you can train your customer to create separate orders for store-pickup and for drop-ship and for regular-ship.

Otherwise you'll have to create special shipping modules to handle all possible restrictions, as well as back-end support to separate the different order components insomuch as you need to forward appropriate information to your suppliers to do drop-shipping etc.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.