Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default View all products in top level category?

I've been looking all day for the answer to this one. I know that, when you create a category in the admin area, you can either put products in the category folder *or* another sub category (with products in that folder) - but you can't do both.

So, I was wondering - right now, when you go to a top-level category, it shows the image for that main category, and beneath it, it shows the categories that fall under the main one. What I need, instead, is for the main category to list *all* the products when you go to the top-level page (not list the subcategories, but just show everything in that category), and you can use the sidebar links to navigate down into those categories is you want to narrow things down a bit.

I've searched and can't find anything on this. I shall continue to search and mess with things, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on how to do this?
    Last edited by doodlebee; 12 Nov 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: View all products in top level category?

Why have the subcategories if you are not going to use them? The whole idea is to organize the products in a "tree".
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Why have the subcategories if you are not going to use them? The whole idea is to organize the products in a "tree".
    Not that I agree with it, but it's not my decision. That's what they want - and I need to figure out how to do it.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate it!

Plugin Contributions

Hmm...okay, if I can't have them in the top level category - how about a way to have the page open up to the first sub category, instead of the top-level? In other words, when I have a category tree like this:

Pictures
    - Animals
    - Vegetables
    - Minerals

Is there a way to have the page automatically open to "Animals" rather than "Pictures"?
    Last edited by doodlebee; 13 Nov 2006 at 01:43 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Plugin Contributions

Peek in the Configuration ... Layout Settings ...
    PHP Code:
    Categories Always Show on Main Page
    Always Show Categories on Main Page
    off
    on
    Default category can be set to Top Level or a Specific Top Level 
    PHP Code:
    Main Page Opens with Category
    Top Level Categories
    Or enter the Category ID#
    NoteSub Categories can also be used Example3_10 
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Ajeh - but I've already tried that.

The problem is that my Main Page has a different layout than the inside pages. So when I change the category to open up with, it alters my index page layout to look just like the inside pages, and I can't have that.

Maybe I should have given more information (I hate it when *I* see ambiguous questions, and here I am serving one up - beat me with a wet noodle!)

The way the site is designed is that the index page has a header naviagtion at the top - very basic. Contains links to the home page, and a couple of E-Z Pages, as well as Log In, Shopping Cart and Checkout. This header nav is constant throughout the site.

On the idex page, we have two sections: the right side has a large image (it's a photographer's site) and the left side has some introductory text on what the site is about. Under this text are small image links that will draw you into the shopping area - each link represents a different category for products, so each link will lead you to a different section of products (as it should be).

My issue is, when someone clicks on the main category link on the index page (the only way to get into the products listing areas), it takes you to the page that shows you the category, and then lists the subcategories. So it takes an additional step to get right in there and look around - something the client does not want. They want someone to either 1) click on the main category link on the index page and be taken to the main category page which houses *all* images contained in that category (my initial question) - and narrow things down if they so choose by clicking on the subcategories; or 2) have the index page link take you directly to the top-level subcategory, if there is one.

For the record, once you get to the inside pages/shopping area, there is alreayd a list of categories and subcategories in a sid nav menu - so the "open up to the main category" is (my client's words) "redundant and annoying".

So making those alterations in the admin isn't doing what I need it to do - it *would*, except that it's doing it on the wrong page. I haven't been able to find a setting for the *categories* so that you can have the category itself open to the first subcategory (if there is one) rather than opening up to the main one and have it show the list of subs before you can move on.

Man, I hope that made sense. I'd show you - but I'm working off a localhost server right now - so if more clarification is needed (for *anyone* who may be able to help), let me know.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah...I need more clarification.... Your example is:
    Pictures
    - Animals
    - Vegetables
    - Minerals
    Why not make your top levels
    Animals
    Vegetables
    Minerals
    And skip the Pictures as the top. It would seem from your description that this would then navigate one to the pictures(products) in animals, Vegtables, or Minerals...and you can place/insert a leading image as the category image for each. Like a tiger, tomato, and a rock.

Have you tried it this way and I am just not getting it?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Well - there's a *DUH* moment for you. A question about that, though: if I do that...is there a way I can define a title for them? Argh - it's so hard to describe. See, I *need* the word "Pictures" there - it doesn't necessarily need to link to anything, but it has to be there - with the subcategories. There are several groups of items she's selling, and I need them separated. So, keeping with the other example:

Pictures
    - Animals
    - Vegetables
    - Minerals

Books
    - Literature
    - Romance

So, if I did what you suggested, how would I also retain "Pictures" and "Books"? (Does that make more sense?)

So, your suggestion would work *great* for the index page, but I still need that tree in the sidebar of the inside pages that still has the main category(Pictures and Books) - the main ones don't have to link to anything - but if there were a way to retain some type of heading like that *and* implement your suggestion, I'd be home free.

Plugin Contributions

You could change the title of the sidebox header:

instead of categories call it Pictures

PICTURES (this would be the sidebox heading)
    Inside would be the categories
    Animals
    Vegetables
    Minerals

Plugin Contributions

Your client may not like this, but I'd suggest:

Animal Pictures
    Vegetable Pictures
    Mineral Pictures
    Literature Books
    Romance Books

as his main categories.

If its just a reduced amount of clicking he is looking for, then I would suggest the css flyout cagtegories add on.

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...products_id=75

That way the customers can get right to any category they want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast