Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How to enable only one shipping method to some products?

I use two flat rate shipping methods: standard and express. I want to only offer express shipping to some products which are fragile, if I do this by setting them as "always free shipping", I have to add the shipping cost to the price, however, if a customer oder more than one item, the shipping becomes per item actually instead of flat rate. I wonder if there is a way to set some products only available by express shipping or any other possible solution. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to enable only one shipping method to some products?

What happens if the customer orders 1 fragile and 1 non-fragile do they get to pick express?

If so, why can't you have both always show?

Can you give a better break down on when standard and express show?

1 fragile = standard or express

1 non-fragile = standard

1 fragile and 1 non-fragile = ???

2 fragile = standard or express

2 non-fragile = standard

1 fragile and 2 non-fragile = ???

How much is the shipping for these scenarios?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    What happens if the customer orders 1 fragile and 1 non-fragile do they get to pick express?

If so, why can't you have both always show?

Can you give a better break down on when standard and express show?

1 fragile = standard or express

1 non-fragile = standard

1 fragile and 1 non-fragile = ???

2 fragile = standard or express

2 non-fragile = standard

1 fragile and 2 non-fragile = ???

How much is the shipping for these scenarios?
    1 fragile = express

1 non-fragile = standard or express

1 fragile and 1 non-fragile = express

2 fragile = express

2 non-fragile = standard or express

1 fragile and 2 non-fragile = express

In a word, I would like to show only the express shipping choice during checkout as long as there is a fragile item in the customer's cart.

This is actually a compromise, it would be best if I can apply table rates by weight for express shipping, in that way, it would be like this:

1 fragile = express by weight

1 non-fragile = standard flat or express by weight

1 fragile and 1 non-fragile = express by weight for fragile and flat for non-fragile OR express by weight

2 fragile = express by weight

2 non-fragile = standard flat or express by weight

1 fragile and 2 non-fragile = express by weight for fragile and flat for non-fragile OR express by weight

I thought it would be too complicated to setup so I plan to use flat rates for both shipping by adjusting prices for fragile products.

Plugin Contributions

You could add a new field to products such as products_is_fragile

Then you can test the cart to see if there are any fragile products in it ...

From that result, you can then enable or disable a shipping module ...

Or get the count on how many are fragile and adjust accordingly on the price ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi.
    I want to do something similar---certain products cannot be shipped at all. Any order which contains even one of these products cannot be shipped. If a customer makes an order containing even one of such products, they will have the option to pickup the order, or click a link which will email the order to the store, who will then call/email the customer to process the order in house (i'm working on this now.)

My question is how to set this up. I think i should add a field to all products, which is something like "shippable". When determining shipping options, if all products in an order are shippable, then the shipping module (i am doing a custom one) wil be available, as well as the pickup option. If a single product is not Shippable, then the only options will be pickup and the link to process the order in-house.

Can you offer me some pointers to adding this field? SHould I do it in the backend?
    thanks.
    take care,
    bissej

Plugin Contributions

Hi Guys,

My only suggestion would be to maybe manipulate the weights for this such as giving the non-fragile items a really low weight and the fragile ones a higher weight which would trigger the more expensive postage?

Anyway this whole problem of having two flat rate shipping methods standard and express, and only showing express for expensive categories and showing both options for other categories is exactly what I need to? any help?

Plugin Contributions

Or get the count on how many are fragile and adjust accordingly on the price ...
    This is great. Any direction on how to do this? I think it is supposed to be difficult.

Plugin Contributions

One way to do it is to find a similar field to what you are trying to make ...

You want to make a field such as:
    product_is_fragile

And that would be added to the products table as a: tinyint 1

To find a similar field to "trace" and follow the pattern of, you could use:
    product_is_call

Note: this field has "functionality" as well ... so some places are not necessary to duplicate this field ...

But using this field, you could use the Developer's Tool Kit and see where it is referenced in the admin for the purpose of adding/editing ...

Once you can add/edit the products with this new field, you can then use it in the catalog, such as in a shipping module to manage when they should show or not show ...

Zen Cart is made of patterns ... so cloning something similar to what you need is usually a matter of finding the "keys" to the "pattern" ...

product_is_call
    products_is_call

Should bring up all text defines and field usage for this field ...

At first it will appear overwhelming ...

Don't let that throw you ...

Remember with Product Types, Zen Cart has 5 sets of files ... so you will more or less be seeing 5 times what you might actually need to work with ...

NOTE: The admin is not overrideable ... so you will want to save your original files and your custom files for future upgrades ...

NOTE: if you are not already v1.3.6 ... it would be a good time to get there first, before building in your custom code ...

Take your time, this is not as bad as a looks ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

One way to do it is to find a similar field to what you are trying to make ...

You want to make a field such as:
    product_is_fragile

And that would be added to the products table as a: tinyint 1

To find a similar field to "trace" and follow the pattern of, you could use:
    product_is_call

Note: this field has "functionality" as well ... so some places are not necessary to duplicate this field ...

But using this field, you could use the Developer's Tool Kit and see where it is referenced in the admin for the purpose of adding/editing ...

Once you can add/edit the products with this new field, you can then use it in the catalog, such as in a shipping module to manage when they should show or not show ...

Zen Cart is made of patterns ... so cloning something similar to what you need is usually a matter of finding the "keys" to the "pattern" ...

product_is_call
    products_is_call

Should bring up all text defines and field usage for this field ...

At first it will appear overwhelming ...

Don't let that throw you ...

Remember with Product Types, Zen Cart has 5 sets of files ... so you will more or less be seeing 5 times what you might actually need to work with ...

NOTE: The admin is not overrideable ... so you will want to save your original files and your custom files for future upgrades ...

NOTE: if you are not already v1.3.6 ... it would be a good time to get there first, before building in your custom code ...

Take your time, this is not as bad as a looks ...
    Thanks for the detailed direction. I will try this later. But now I have another more urgent problem to deal with. After I installed the SEO URL mod, I could not access my admin page. I already posted this in proper forum, but please help me if you have any idea about this. Thanks.
    Cuts N Knots - Chinese Folk Arts and Crafts Store

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bissej View Post
    Hi.
    I want to do something similar---certain products cannot be shipped at all. Any order which contains even one of these products cannot be shipped. If a customer makes an order containing even one of such products, they will have the option to pickup the order, or click a link which will email the order to the store, who will then call/email the customer to process the order in house (i'm working on this now.)

My question is how to set this up. I think i should add a field to all products, which is something like "shippable". When determining shipping options, if all products in an order are shippable, then the shipping module (i am doing a custom one) wil be available, as well as the pickup option. If a single product is not Shippable, then the only options will be pickup and the link to process the order in-house.

Can you offer me some pointers to adding this field? SHould I do it in the backend?
    thanks.
    take care,
    bissej
    Hi friends,
    I also have the same problem I want to add 2 types of products one is shippable and another one is nonshippable.Any idea how to do this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast