Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: exclude certain products from free shipping

This thread is rather old but I thought I'd post my solution in the attached zip file...feel free to use it or not.

I've modified the product configuration to allow any individual product to be excluded from Free Shipping by adding an extra radio button in the product's Free Shipping section on the admin page.

I've only tested it on the minimum cart total value. The idea is that if the total value of the cart triggers the Free Shipping module, the module checks to see if there are any items in the cart that should not get Free Shipping.

If the Free Shipping module would otherwise be triggered if those items are removed, (that is, if the total cart value still meets the criteria) the module short-circuits itself and sets a flag that there are Free Shipping items should be exempted from shipping charges buy removing their weights from the order (leaving only the exempted items + tare).

I also made the modifications for total cart weight and total cart items, but didn't test for those conditions. I'd love it if someone would let me know if they do. Heck, I'd love feedback of any sort. I wanted to use Observers to make this work but I didn't have time to research it.

Also, I only modified UPS and USPS. You can follow my example if you use other shipping mods.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: exclude certain products from free shipping

lance made the first step moving towards a solution...but the codes has to be transfered to each specific site...therefore, a tutorial should be better.

Plugin Contributions

I know that this post is kind of old, but i tried implementing the solution above and it came up with a unkown table in field error on the admin page when i trie dto edit a product. Any suggestions?

Plugin Contributions

The attached files seems old now, and I'm still looking for the solution.

Is there any new add-on to provide this function now?

Plugin Contributions

Could you provide some specific details as to what you are trying to do for your products on free shipping and how the free shipping products are distinguished from other products on your site?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I've have free shipping for order total over $100, but I wish to set up some products/categories to be excluded from this free shipping option.

(Using v1.3.8 now)

Plugin Contributions

I guess the answer is no?

Plugin Contributions

You would need to customize any code that uses:
    MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_SHIPPING_FREE_SHIPPING_OVER

to reduce the amount for these products ...

If you do a search in the Tools ... Developers Tool Kit ... in the bottom input box for:
    MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_SHIPPING_FREE_SHIPPING_OVER

and search the Catalog ... then click SEARCH ... you will see where this is used ...

It will look overwhelming at first ... but what it is doing is checking the total of the cart against the setting for MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_SHIPPING_FREE_SHIPPING_OVER ...

You would need to adjust these for those particular products that cannot be free shipping so that their total does not count towards the free shipping ...

This is why I prefer the approach of using the Free Shipping Options freeoptions instead and offering that in addition to the regular shipping methods for when the order amount is over a certain amount and adjust the amount in the Free Shipping Options freeoptions shipping module ...

This saves having to customize the code in so many places ...

Plus, if you were using shipping, such as UPS, where there are numerous shipping methods, the customer can choose the Free Shipping ... or pick a faster method ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help.

Free Shipping Options is nice, but I just wanna put something "excluded" from Free Shipping Options, since they're already in special low prices.

I can't just add "necessary" shipping fees to these products, because shipping to different areas are totally different.

I guess that's why I need "Advenced Free Shipping Options"

Plugin Contributions

I've been reading through the different posts on excluding products from having free shipping applied to it but other than conceptual solutions I have not found any applicable solutions. I am not versed enough to create the needed code from scratch most of my coding is in modifying existing code to tweak things as needed.

here's what I have going on.

I have a category "SUPPLIES" with sub-categories under it and then I have a handful of other top level categories.

I am currently using the following shipping modules
    Free Shipping Options with a total cost set to greater than equal to 350.
    Store Pick Up with shipping cost being $0.00
    UPS Shipping

What I need to be able to do is make it so that shipping is always applied to any product under the SUPPLIES category or any of the SUPPLIES sub-categories regardless of how little the weight value assigned to the product is. I only want to apply free shipping for total cost over $350 to products outside of the SUPPLIES category.

So as I understand the concepts:

I need to modify the free shipping options module to to check products in cart and only tally the total price of products who's category is not equal to SUPPLIES or SUPPLIES sub-categories. IF the total of these products is equal or greater than $350 apply free shipping option for those items and apply appropriate shipping rates for all items from the SUPPLIES category.

If I have read things correctly I believe there is also manipulation that needs to be done to the OT_SHIPPING module file but I am not certain of what it is that needs to be done within that file.

Now the kicker is... I have no idea how to code this in order to make this happen. I've seen a lot of code posted on here to help with other solutions and I did see a previous request for code in this thread but I have not found anything that I could even begin to manipulate and test with regards to this need. Also, file file attached to this thread throws errors when trying to edit products in the catalog trying to make calls to database fields that don't exist so I doubt it is worth me looking at that code because of it being so out dated.

thanks in advance

mg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast