Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Access multiple mySQL databases at once (???)

Team members...

It's is possible to search 2 different mySQL databases at the same time with one search?

I possible partner of mine has a database of songs on his remote mySQL in his location. I'd like to sell his songs and mine and have my current website search both at the same time and display the results.

The harder part will be the end. Can downloads be accessed from his files?
    All my download zips are in the download folder, but if the above can be searched, we'd like to add the possiblity of selling his zips. The biggest problem is the files for the zip folder on his site would have to be gathered, zipped and THEN sent to my download folder via ftp before they're posted for download.
    (He wants to keep 'his' music on his site for business reasons...which I understand) He could update his end of the mySQL at any point for additional releases and they would show up in my search results.

I know this is all custom programming....BUT can it even be done?

thanks everyone,
    Jeff Michaels,
    pres of Musical Creations Ltd.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Access multiple mySQL databases at once (???)

Yes, it can be done.

Yes, it'll require custom programming ...... and lots of it.

There are a lot of things to consider both with respect to sharing the database and pulling results from the separate server (and the speed issues connected with that), as well as download security for the remote site, etc. ie: to serve downloads from his site, you'll have to have a subset of Zen Cart files on his server in order to deliver authorized downloads.

Did I mention *lots* ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.