Plugin Contributions

Default Trying to measure twice and cut once.

Ok i have an active shop that is working well but is version 1.2.7 and I want to upgrade. IN my haste to set it up I changed the files in the default directory and now will overwrite them when I install the upgrade. Ok well mom used to say of the horse kicks you once it is his fault , he does it again it is yours. So I am trying to set up a version 1.3.6 cart that has the correct overides templates. But i have had some trouble and have read so much I have now confused myself so a few questions.

If I am using a downloaded template that changes the look and feel of the new shop do I need to copy those files to my CUSTOM folders to see the changes I have made in the define pages? Can I set the visual template to the downloaded template and the language to custom and get the same results?

Should the product images be kept in a images/custom/ folder or are they ok in the regular folders?

My last question has nothing to do with the overides per se. I would like to set up the new cart locally so that I dont have to work through my FTP program. I have a connection to my trial database via mysql admin and tried connecting to the cart install program using the address of http://localhost/f:/store/zc_install/ and it wont connect? Is this possible or more a pain in the neck than it is worth?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to measure twice and cut once.

All your questions can be answered by doing the following.

Backup your Database!

1. Create a subdirectory within your Hosting account and upload your current files. This will be your testbed.
    2. Create a new db and import your current one.
    3. Upgrade your backup to the newest ZC version.
    4. Install new Template.

Steps 1 & 2 will allow you to have a place for testing without affecting your live site.
    Steps 3 & 4 will give you experience with updating and installing a new Template. Whatever Template you use should include instructions on where to put the Template files.

Better to have a testbed on your Hosting account as they usually provide all software necessary to run whatever script. For various reasons, this is not always the case when working locally.

Plugin Contributions

That is what I have been doing. Then after everything is the way I want it I should be able to back up the live databes and just chage the config files to look at the correct database?

Plugin Contributions

No.

You will have to upgrade the database ONLY when you go to change over to a live shop with your new version. You may also have to re-apply any database changes that may have come from mods you have installed.

Rick