Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading to 1.3.6 with Fantastico

I just finished using Fantastico to upgrade to 1.3.6. I know that it says not to use it if you have mods to the design and all. Well, I have a different skin and some extra modules installed, but no products. So I really didn't care if something got messed up, I'd just have to reinstall and reconfigure. Anyhow, I upgraded, and everything seems to be exactly the same! I mean, nothing got screwed. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet and maybe I'll still come across some errors, but it was really quick and painless.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading to 1.3.6 with Fantastico

You are always welcome to upgrade in any manner that you wish ... we strongly recommend that automated upgrades not be used as they do often go moofy ...

Word of caution:
    Backup!

Suggested safeties:
    Backup!

And last but not least:
    Backup!

Good luck with your shop ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Very true. Much better to be safe than sorry. I just wanted to share that info incase it would help someone.

Plugin Contributions

I upgraded thru fantastico. I should have read the instruction I guess.

Plugin Contributions

I wonder if 2 ways can be tested for those who did as wrong as i did:

1. zc_install folder be uploaded again. then mysite.com/zc_install can be used. I tested it on a test site upgraded from 1.3.0.1 to 1.3.6 and seems to work.

2. everybody has zc_install folder which is either deleted or renamed. Those who have still renamed folders seem be usable too.

mysite.com/zc_install_renamedwhatever was called by browser and it worked like normal zc_install folder asking if databse to be upgraded or to install etc. But it started like this:
    "Welcome to the setup program for Zen Cart™ v1.3.0.1 release. Please confirm your acceptance of the license terms."

it then said: admin/includes/configure.php does not exist more info... Of course everybody renamed admin folder by security requirement, so config file was not found. Either by creating new config file or changing 'renamed admin' folder back to 'admin' folder temporarily so that config files can be found maybe one can get around this little part. I just wonder if in database upgrade section whether it will ask to upgrade database all the way to 1.3.6? I must tell fantastico upgrade created admin folder anew since my original admin folder was renamed.

If all this goes till final result it is going to save a lot of time for me. and for those who already blundered by upgrading through fantastico like me.

I just wonder if any body has gone through this path or what the gurus say on this issue?
    Last edited by zenartman; 14 Dec 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. Do not upgrade via fantastico.

2. Upload the LATEST version of zc_install to your server in order to use it to upgrade your site.

3. Follow the upgrade instructions to do the upgrade -- for both your PHP files and your database.

4. Delete the zc_install when done.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Dr Byte. I have already made the blunder by upgrading by fantastico.

Just quickly tested my idea: using renamed zc_install I was able to upgrade my test databse only to the level when the renamed zc_install was installed, i.e. 1.3.0.2. But I need to upgrade to 1.3.6 since through fantastico i upgraded the test site to 1.3.6. After working this way, "Your database appears to need patching to a higher level. See Admin->Tools->Server Information to review patch levels" is still there.

So uploaded zc_install from 1.3.6. It seems to work like a charm. Database is upgraded to 1.3.6. Have I cheated myself just to be capsized later by next updates or mods or found a somewhat manageable way to solve a problem?

Is it wrong way to do stuff? Any idea?
    Last edited by zenartman; 14 Dec 2006 at 06:43 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I don't understand what your problem is...I don't have a zc_install folder after upgrading from fantastico. The way I did it is I upgraded the Database, it said dbase v. 1.3.6 in the admin but still said my Zen cart version was out of date, then I upgraded via fantastico and now it says ZenCart v. 1.3.6 and dbase the same. I have no problems.